Chapter 25

When Valerie and Cyrus emerged from Plymouth, Chisisi was pacing by the door. It was the first time Valerie had seen him on the Globe.

"Miss lives," Chisisi said, briefly shutting his eyes in relief.

Valerie saw that Skye was also waiting for her. Willa and Steven were watching the scene, eyes wide with curiosity.

Chisisi brushed dirt off of his wrinkled shirt before he spoke. "The attacks on Earth have increased dramatically. The Fractus have switched focus from targeting specific individuals or groups, presumably for information, to attacking major seats of power, such as Washington, D.C., Beijing, London, and Singapore."

"Why the change in strategy?" Cyrus asked.

"Perhaps they found the information they were seeking, and are now beginning their plan to conquer Earth," Chisisi suggested. "The Fractus are occupying all of our forces, and we cannot protect everyone. People are dying by the hundreds."

"I don't think the Fractus attacks on humans are really about taking over their governments, at least not yet. Right now, they're distracting us," Valerie guessed. "They must be close to finding the charm that binds magic on Earth, and they don't want us in their way."

"That may be," Chisisi said. "My sources are scouring the Atacama Desert, but we are no closer to finding the flame."

"We have to send reinforcements," Valerie said.

Skye nodded. "Chisisi and I came to the same understanding. But it will mean weakening our protection of Arden."

"We don't have a choice. We can't let people die," Valerie said, and then turned to Cyrus. "Get Henry and tell him to check in with Sanguina on Earth. The prophecy I read in the Roaming City said that we're at our strongest when we're working together. Even if we can't be next to each other, maybe if we're both on Earth, we'll have a better chance of driving back the Fractus."

"There's another matter," Chisisi said. "One of the battles is raging around the home of young Ming."

Valerie fought the urge to instantly go to Ming's side, but she knew she had to organize everyone before she left to fight. She'd sent Chrome to Ming for a reason, and she had to trust him now.

Valerie and Skye identified which Conjurors would be best utilized on Earth, given the rules binding magic, and Skye left with Chisisi to determine where on Earth the soldiers should be sent.

Valerie turned to Cyrus.

"After you find Henry, I need you to update Thai," she said. "He's watching Emin, and he needs to know what's happening. I'm sorry to ask you this, but–"

Cyrus shook his head. "I get it. First, give me Pathos."

Valerie handed him her weapon, and he concentrated, weaving a light pattern into her blade, which was dim after using it in Plymouth. The pattern embedded itself in her sword, and it glowed brighter than ever.

"Now go," Cyrus said.

Valerie took off as fast as she could, running to the mirror in Kanti's dorm room. Kanti had set it up to call her at the palace whenever Valerie needed her.

As soon as Valerie tapped the mirror, an image of Kanti's ice palace appeared. Peach, Kanti's middle sister, was passing by and saw her.

"Get Kanti, now," Valerie said. "And come back with her. We need all the help we can get."

Peach must have run, because Kanti was in front of the mirror in less than a minute. Valerie filled them in on what was happening.

"How can we help?" Kanti asked.