Chapter 41

Valerie felt detached from herself, as if her body could go on working and fighting, even though her heart was broken. The part of her mind that wasn't reliving Cyrus's death considered the battle still raging around her. The Fractus were shaken, their weapons slipping as they cast glances at Reaper's body lying behind her. With the reinforcements from the People of the Woods, the Fist had the advantage.

Henry gave her a mint that would amplify her voice. "End this. They need to know Reaper's gone."

Valerie sucked on the mint before speaking. "Your leader has fallen. I know many of you fought at Reaper's side out of fear, and I ask you to cast down your weapons. I cannot promise that you will all be pardoned, but I do swear that you will all receive justice."

The Grand Master of the Illuminators' Guild was the first to throw down his weapon. The bear loped toward her, and Valerie tensed.

He stopped in front of her and spoke. "The vivicus could have killed me more than once, or ordered someone to do it, but she never did. I know she held back her magic so she didn't do more damage than she had to. I will surrender to her and abide by the decision of the Justice Guild."

After hearing his words, more Fractus dropped their weapons, and those left gripping theirs were outnumbered. They followed suit grudgingly.

Chisisi wound his way through the crowd to stand by her side. "Per your orders, my people are prepared to take the Fractus prisoners."

"Per your suggestion, you mean," Valerie said with a slight smile. "I never thought we'd make it to the point where we'd be the ones in a position to organize the surrender."

Chisisi smiled, a real one that made his eyes crinkle. "My suggestion, then. I had faith in you when I first met you at Mena House. Today, you lived up to my highest hopes. I thank you for your service."

Chisisi hugged her, and her body sagged. His kindness nearly unraveled her, right there on the battlefield, but she couldn't let herself feel yet. She pushed her friend away and took a deep, shaky breath.

"Go home, young miss."

"Soon," she promised.

In Silva, the fighting continued to rage, fierce and brutal. When word spread that Reaper was dead and Valerie was offering to protect anyone who surrendered, the effect wasn't as powerful as it had been on Earth.

It was a civil war—Knights fighting Knights, guilds turning against each other. So Valerie raised her sword and entered the fray with Thai and Henry. She tried not to think about how Cyrus should have been there, too, meeting with the Healers and helping with light treatments.

Explosions rocked The Horseshoe as Steven and Willa used dynamite to keep the Fractus constantly moving. It was effective in preventing them from rallying into cohesive groups, but it was devastating to the buildings. The guilds, which were already pock-marked with chips from the battle, crumbled further.

Kanti brought her soldiers back from Earth to help with the battle in Silva, and even though they were weary, sheer numbers had the effect that Valerie's words hadn't. The Fractus who didn't retreat were captured, and the fighting ended as the light from the day disappeared.

"What's next?" she asked, after she and Skye finalized the details of the surrender inside the heavily damaged Capitol Building.

The centaur bowed his head and swayed a little on his hooves. "We rest."

Valerie patted his flank. "You're right. Let's get some sleep."

Henry had left with Kanti hours ago, but Thai had waited for her. He was asleep on a bench in the hall, his head tipped back against the wall. His face was gray, and for the first time, Valerie thought about the toll the day had taken on him. If it wouldn't completely humiliate him, she'd scoop him up and carry him home like a baby. She was strong enough.