Chapter 39

Valerie hadn't slept in twenty-four hours, but she'd never been more awake. She carefully re-braided her hair and wrapped it around her head so it wouldn't get in her way while she was fighting. Her new sword was strapped to her side, so weightless that she kept checking to make sure her sheath wasn't empty.

"I thought a key part of the plan was for you to not be too recognizable so you don't get targeted," Thai said, startling her.

She whipped around to face him, and then looked down at her blue jeans, T-shirt, and sneakers. "What do you mean?"

Thai stepped closer. "You're beautiful. Anyone who sees you is going to recognize you. Why not get a glamour disguise from Roza?"

Valerie blushed. "My soldiers will want to see me, to know I'm fighting at their sides."

"Lucky soldiers," Thai said, and he stepped even closer. "I know we have things to discuss, but right now, I'm going to kiss you like it's the end of the world, because maybe it is."

Valerie knew there were about a million other things she should be doing, but the force drawing her to him was a kind of magic she couldn't resist.

As their lips met, the burden she carried dropped from her shoulders. In another universe, maybe they'd be kissing at prom or at the end of a date. For now, she'd pretend they were.

Henry's mind touched hers, and then recoiled. But it was too late. The weight of reality was back, and she pulled away.

"Not yet," Thai said, and his fingers were back in her hair. "What if this is the last one?"

Their lips connected again, and the kiss lost its sweetness and became desperate. When Valerie pulled away again, there were tears in both of their eyes.

She took his weapon out of the sheath at his side and checked to make sure it was sharpened and fully charged with light, and he tucked a lock of her hair that escaped her braid behind her ear.

With a breath that steadied the shuddering inside her, Valerie mentally reviewed her plan. She was ready to fight.

Valerie strode into The Horseshoe like she owned it, holding her blazing sword in her hand. Her army was striking here first not only to retake Silva, but also to divert Reaper's attention and forces from Earth. It was a distraction, so she had to make it a good one.

"Morning, Fractus! We've brought the fight to your doorstep this time. Who wants to come out and claim the title of the Fractus who slayed the vivicus leader of the Fist?"

Her words had the desired effect of drawing Fractus from the guilds and the winding streets of Silva. A crowd was gathering, but no one came within reach of Valerie's blade.

Kellen zoomed from the window of the crumbling Weapons Guild. His eyes were manic when he saw her.

"Is the vivicus finally ready to shed blood? We relish it!" he cried. "Kill her!"

There was a ripple in the crowd as a bear charged through. The Grand Master of the Illuminators' Guild roared as he approached. Over his giant paws was a pair of black mitts that exuded power.

As soon as the light from her sword touched his gloves, they disintegrated on his hands. The bear hid his surprise well, but he was off kilter. Valerie met his charge with a fist to his face, holding back her full force so she didn't kill him in a single blow.

She unleashed enough of her magic to knock him unconscious, and the crowd erupted. Kellen's screech of dismay was close enough that she knew he'd try to shower her with his dark dust soon. Before Kellen reached her side or the crowd of Fractus mobbed her, Valerie made eye contact with Mira, who pumped his fist in the air once.