Chapter 5

"This is an insult. They know the leader of the Fist has come to meet with them, so where are they?" Sanguina's voice rang out in the grove of trees, sending a cluster of birds fluttering into the sky.

"It's okay. I can wait," Valerie said.

She, Sanguina, and Chisisi had arranged to meet with the contingent of the People of the Woods who had returned to Earth, but they were an hour late.

"I see a flicker in the trees," Chisisi said, his voice calm as ever.

"Finally!" Sanguina huffed. "If I were still a vampyre, I'd leave them shaking with fear for days!"

"Probably best that you're not, then," Valerie muttered. "Now keep your voice down. They have amazing hearing."

She'd forgiven Sanguina for the years she'd spent terrorizing Henry and herself, but hearing her mention her prior life so carelessly made her shudder.

Sanguina was contrite. "I'm joking, of course."

Before Valerie could reply, two People stepped from the trees. She recognized them as elders who led the contingent of People on Earth, Oak and Meadow.

"How fare you, vivicus?" Oak asked her, nodding his head. His skin glinted with a touch of gold in the sun. He didn't acknowledge Chisisi or Sanguina.

"The attacks on Earth and the Globe have only gotten worse," Valerie said. "Have you had any luck following the leads that Chisisi sent your way?"

"This human didn't understand, but you will," Meadow said, her passion evident in the defiant thrust of her chin. "We have been occupied cleansing the rivers of the pollution that humans have dumped into the waters. Without pure water, we cannot help the animals that depend on it for survival."

"I know how important it is to help the plants and animals on Earth thrive," Valerie began carefully. "But if we don't stop the Fractus now, who knows what kind of destruction they could visit on the land?"

"Did you visit the lake in Armenia I spoke to you about, to see if there were any traces of ancient magic?" Chisisi asked.

Oak finally turned to Chisisi. "We did visit the site. There was once a great power there, but it is gone."

"What do you mean, gone?" Sanguina demanded.

"The object that is binding magic on Earth may once have resided there, but it was moved," Meadow explained, as if she were speaking to a small child.

"Could the Fractus have beaten us there, and they already have it?" Valerie asked, her heart beating faster.

"Not unless they did it many centuries ago," Meadow said.

"Are there any traces you can follow to see where it might have gone?" Valerie asked.

"We do not have the ability to follow magic trails, so there is no more we can do for you," Oak said. "We will leave you now for more important work."

"We wanted to ask—" Valerie began, but Oak and Meadow had turned and were already vanishing through the trees.

"Say the word, and I'll drag them back by their hair," Sanguina seethed.

Chisisi sighed. "Forcing them to help is more difficult than finding another way. Especially when we have a willing Conjuror on hand who is an expert at tracing magic trails."

"Chrome," Valerie said with a smile. The wolf was an old friend, and she would welcome the chance to see him.

"He's been following up a lead in Brazil, but it appears to be a dead end," Chisisi said.