Chapter 6

As soon as Valerie was confident that they were out of earshot, she turned to her brother.

"Who were those guys? I've never heard of powers like theirs. Do you think that's common in Elsinore?" she asked, stunned.

Henry shook his head. "No. Those powers are new."

"This changes everything. Our weapons are useless once their power drains them of light," Valerie said. "We'll have no protection against their black weapons."

"I know," Henry said miserably.

But he didn't look surprised.

"Did you know about this?" Valerie asked.

Henry's jaw worked, as if he was trying to choke back the words. "Yes."

Before she could question Henry further, he turned and fled. Valerie could have followed but enough of his pain seeped through the defenses that he'd built around his mind to let her know that he couldn't handle any more contact with her. But why?

When Valerie visited Chisisi that night, he looked more rested than she'd seen him in a long time. He was at a safe house in India, deep in conversation with a man who had his back to her. His eyes crinkled in a real smile when he saw her.

"Young miss must have sensed that we were speaking of her from across the universe," Chisisi said.

The man turned. It was her former physician, Dr. Freeman.

Without thinking, she gave him a hug, and he returned it without hesitation.

"Is it Commander Diaz now?" he teased her, his dark brown eyes twinkling.

"Whatever you like, as long as you do what I say," she joked back, surprised at how much the sight of her friends lifted her spirits.

"We won't waste these ten days of peace," Dr. Freeman said. "I've been working on a rather clever way to identify other children who might be sick from the rules of this world binding their magic. I am a bit of an expert on the symptoms."

"That's a great idea," Valerie said. "Maybe we can find a way to bring them to the Globe."

"Perhaps," he said. "But most of these children only suffer mild discomfort, not life-threatening illnesses like you did. Ripping them away from everything they know might not be the best solution."

"What are you thinking, then?" she asked, curious.

"I told you that young miss doesn't mind having her ideas overturned for better ones," Chisisi said, his pride in her unmistakable.

"What if they're our backup plan? Hopefully, we'll be able to protect the charm binding magic on Earth until the Fractus have been driven out. But if we fail, we would know the human children who have magic that will be set free."

"You can't be suggesting that we'd ask these kids to help us fight the Fractus in a worst-case scenario?" Valerie asked, her back stiff.

Dr. Freeman gave her a stern look that she recognized from her years as his patient when she didn't take all of her medicine. "Of course not. But if magic is tied to genetics, then their families may have more magical potential than average. We can reach out to their parents and ask them to form a kind of reserve militia as a last line of defense against attacks."

"That's brilliant," she acknowledged. Dr. Freeman flashed her a smile. "But it's terrifying to imagine the Fractus destroying enough of the Fist for those people to be needed."

"Hope for the best, prepare for the worst," Chisisi said.

"Dr. Freeman, will you lead a campaign to educate and train the families you identify as having magical potential?" Valerie asked. "You already know how to lead a team, and you've faced tougher problems than this one."