Chapter 19

"Seven of our people have vanished this week alone," Chisisi said when Valerie came in for her daily report. "We don't know if they were captured or killed by the Fractus. But our enemies are no longer simply searching for clues to Earth's magic-binding charm. They are actively seeking out the Fist to engage in battles to weaken us."

Dr. Freeman was also present. He'd become a close adviser to Chisisi since Thai was spending more time at the Healers' Guild, and Valerie was glad that Chisisi had someone he could trust.

"There's another problem. Someone must be following me," Dr. Freeman said. "I've identified three families with a high potential for latent magic, and each of those families was targeted by the Fractus after I met with them."

"Do you think they know what you're doing?" Valerie asked.

"Perhaps," Dr. Freeman said. "At a minimum, they know that I am with the Fist, so they would clearly assume the humans I contact must be Fist supporters, as well."

"Was anyone killed?" Valerie asked, dreading the answer.

"No. They were all told to be on the lookout for the Fractus, and we had teams come to protect them in time," Dr. Freeman assured her.

"But our resources are spread thin," Chisisi said. "We cannot assign bodyguards to every human the Fractus targets."

"Those humans may have to protect themselves sooner than we thought," Valerie said, and then explained the clue that had been uncovered on the floor of the Pantheon.

Chisisi and Dr. Freeman wore identical frowns as they listened to her story.

"What comes next will be a slaughter," Chisisi said. "Right now, humans are at a disadvantage, but they still have weapons and can fight back. But with the Fractus's full magic unleashed, humans will be no threat to them."

"Even humans with magical potential won't have learned how to harness it in a meaningful way yet," Dr. Freeman said.

"We need to start bringing more soldiers of the Fist to Earth," Valerie said.

She knew that Skye was already strapped for soldiers on the Globe, but if more Fractus would be flooding Earth, this was where her forces needed to be.

Cyrus appeared at the doorway. Valerie drank in the sight of him, relieved that he looked healthy and had his usual glow, even if he wasn't wearing his typical grin.

"Henry wanted you to know that the symbols have been deciphered," Cyrus said. "He'd have come himself, but he couldn't travel to Earth anywhere within half a mile of you."

"He solved it already?" Valerie asked. It was about time for some good news.

"It wasn't a code at all. It was ancient Sumerian, and a master in the Language Guild was able to translate it right away," Cyrus explained. "It said that there is an eternal flame burning in the heart of the Atacama Desert in Chile."

"That desert is huge," Dr. Freeman said. "You'll have to narrow the location down. It's not a place you want people wandering around, magic or not."

Chisisi folded his hands. "I will assemble a team to quietly search for this flame. We have local contacts in coastal cities in Chile who can help."

"Good. We're less likely to attract attention if we actually find this flame that way," Valerie said. "Let's not do the Fractus's work for them."

When Valerie returned to the Globe, she found Kanti waiting on her front stoop. Her hair, which was pinned back in a complicated pattern, was coming loose. Her clothes were wrinkled and dusty.