Chapter 15

Kanti threw her arms around Henry.

"I told Reaper you'd save me, and you did," she said.

Henry stumbled back a little from the force of her hug, and muttered into her hair. "Valerie saved you. I bit my nails in a corner."

Kanti laughed, and then threw her arms around Valerie. "My hero."

Valerie returned her friend's hug. When she pulled away, she quickly swiped the tears from her eyes, but not before Kanti noticed them.

"What is it? Tell me," Kanti said, all of her laughter gone.

Henry trembled when he met her gaze. "I'll show you what happened."

Henry opened his mind to Kanti, Valerie, and Thai. Flashes of scenes appeared in Valerie's mind of Henry helping Reaper and of preparing for Kanti's rescue. When Henry showed Kanti the part where Jack held Dulcea's broken body, her fingers tightened around Valerie's arm.

The scenes stopped, and Kanti turned away from them, leaning against the tree for support. Her chest heaved, and she took great gulps of air.

"Kanti—" Henry began, but Kanti held out a hand to stop him.

"Don't speak," Kanti said, her voice barely above a whisper.

Valerie thought her friend was crying, but when Kanti turned, her cheeks were flushed and her eyes flashed. She glared at Henry, and her beauty only made her more terrifying. She seemed to grow taller, and a hum of magic filled the little garden. Valerie doubted that Kanti was aware that she was touching her power.

"How could you think that I would want you to value my life above all of the innocent humans and Conjurors who will die now because of what you've done?" Kanti's voice was low at first, but grew louder as she spoke. "I'll carry this stain on my conscience for the rest of my life. You knew what I would have wanted you to do, and you did the exact opposite. What you did was the most selfish act I've ever witnessed, and you've met my parents."

"Kanti, don't do this," Valerie said.

"And you! How could you let this happen?" Kanti said, turning her wrath on Valerie. "Gideon might be dead because you thought you had to rescue me!"

Thai took a step forward, his entire body tense, but Valerie held him back. She knew what Kanti was doing. She'd done it herself, when her friend died of leukemia when she was nine. As long as Kanti was angry, she wouldn't have room for the pain. So Valerie let her rage.

"Henry might be guilty for all of the strangers who will die, but it's your fault that Gideon and...and...Dulcea..." Kanti's voice weakened then, and her face crumpled.

Valerie held Kanti. It was Kanti's turn to sob, and Valerie let her own tears fall quietly into her friend's hair. At some point, Henry had left. Thai finally ushered them inside and made a pot of Oberon's tea.

Even with red, puffy eyes, Kanti was still beautiful.

"Where'd Henry go?" Kanti asked, her voice hoarse.

"He's going to stay with Cyrus tonight," Thai said. "He thought you both wanted some space from him."

Kanti slumped. "I know I need to talk to him, but I'm glad he won't be here tonight."

"He couldn't handle losing you. Especially not after Zunya murdered Joe," Valerie said. "He tried to let you go, but he couldn't do that and live."

Kanti nodded, her eyes shadowed. "I know. But right now, I'm furious with him. He should have been stronger. I don't know if I can ever look at him the same now."