Chapter 34

Skye had moved the soldiers of the Fist who remained on the Globe to the foothills of Dunsinane. It was strange to visit the barren purple mountains that she associated with Reaper and find her own people.

The camp was unlike any that Valerie had seen on Earth. There were houseplants that grew into luxurious beds, and the aromas of food cooking smelled like what you'd find in a fancy restaurant instead of the stew you might expect when roughing it outside.

There were even some solid buildings that had popped up, courtesy of the Architecture Guild. They were simple, but elegant, with lots of light.

The organized bustle of the camp slowed when she approached. Soldiers paused to shake her hand or stare at her. It didn't make her uncomfortable anymore. These people were her extended family, and they'd all die for each other.

Skye trotted out of one of the buildings, and under his stern glare, Conjurors returned to their activities.

"We weren't expecting you today."

"I'm here to talk to Juniper, but you should listen, too," Valerie said.

Skye nodded in the direction of a group of soldiers practicing blocks with their weapons. Juniper was among them, correcting stances and giving instructions. He didn't hide the stump where his hand had been, or wear any kind of prosthesis. Valerie couldn't help staring at the physical reminder of the toll this war was taking on them all.

But Juniper was entirely at ease with himself and his role. "Remember that the light in your weapon is the only thing that keeps the Fractus's black weapons from absorbing your magic. Keep your weapon in front of you, blazing, at all times."

"What if those black-eyed Fractus are around? Our weapons are useless then," said a woman who was no taller than Valerie's waist and had a pair of wings sprouting from her back.

"Wyld is right," Juniper said to the group. "Not all of the Fist's weapons are imbued with the new magic that protects you from the darkness. But more of these weapons arrive every day, so call out the code word, and someone will come to help you. We don't send any team into battle without at least a few of the new light weapons."

Juniper saw Valerie and gave her a nod.

"Continue sparring with each other until the lunch bell," he said before walking over to join her.

"Let's talk inside," Skye said, and the three went into one of the buildings.

Inside, it was a workshop of some kind, and it was empty.

Skye noticed Valerie scanning the room. "The lightweavers from the People of the Woods work here, creating more powerful weapons. Cyrus himself visits regularly to oversee their progress. But it will be months before we have all the weapons we need."

"We won't have that long before our next key battle," Valerie said.

She explained what she'd learned about binding magic on Earth, and how Reaper would try to use the magic from the flame for his own ends.

"Before that happens, we need to attack, on Earth and the Globe. I'm hoping that by challenging Reaper here, it will divert some of the Fractus from Earth and minimize human casualties."

"We'll have our soldiers as ready as they can be when it's time to fight Reaper," Skye said. "We all yearn to take back Arden. Living in our enemy's abandoned home is a blasphemy."

Valerie turned to Juniper. "That's not the only reason I'm here."

Her friend cocked his head. "What? You're looking at me like you're about to throw me into a volcano, and you feel really bad about it."