Chapter 13

"I still think I need to be inside the castle on this one," Cyrus argued again the next day. "I'm the only one who can call light to help us on the fly."

"Not much help in a castle with no windows, man," Jack pointed out.

Valerie, Gideon, and Henry were still strapping on their weapons as Dulcea passed out pastries. Thai was stuffing two in his mouth at once, which would have made Valerie smile if she wasn't so tense about the mission.

"Cy's right," Thai agreed, his words a little muffled. "Take us all. Juniper and Claremont, too, maybe."

"All of this is my fault. If anyone should be risking their life, it should be me," Henry said, and from his mind, Valerie could hear the part he left unspoken. He believed his life had the least value, as well.

"It would not be wise for you to return to that place," Gideon said. "The castle affects some more than others, and it has worn away the light within you."

"We talked about this," Valerie said, her patience wearing thin. "Minimal force. Gideon and I are the best fighters, and Dulcea is the only one who Reaper won't recognize, so she'll have to drive the cart in."

"Did I mention I hate that part of the plan?" Jack said, his usual smile completely absent as he gripped Dulcea's hand in his.

Valerie agreed with Jack, but there was no way around it.

"There's no one else he won't recognize," Valerie reminded him.

"You should send me and my boys in," Jack offered, not for the first time. "We know the castle best."

"You'll be thrown into the dungeons, best case scenario," Valerie said. "No way do we want you all to be forced to re-enlist into Reaper's army."

"Fine, boss," Jack grumbled, but Valerie knew that his gang never wanted to see the inside of the Black Castle again, and Jack didn't really want to put them there. He just didn't want to send Dulcea by herself, and Valerie didn't blame him.

The air shimmered, and Sanguina appeared in the kitchen.

"There's still no way to get into Dunsinane except by foot," Sanguina said. "I tried projecting there again this morning with a tuft of weeds that I have from the hills near the castle, but it didn't work. Reaper doesn't want anyone sneaking up on him."

"We'll do it the hard way, like we thought we'd have to," Valerie said. "Time to split up."

Half a day later, Valerie, Gideon, and Sanguina had traveled through the cities to the border closest to Dunsinane. It had been a grueling trip, since they had to carry an enormous callbox with them.

They stopped, and Valerie pulled out some squished sandwiches from her pack that she gave to Sanguina and Gideon.

"We are ready for this," Gideon said, and Valerie saw that he was watching her as she put her uneaten sandwich back in her pack.

"Don't forget, you've got me ready and waiting if something goes wrong," Sanguina added.

"Thank you both," Valerie said.

"There's something else," Sanguina said, and she looked away. "If you do need me, you have to promise not to protect me. Get yourself and your friends out of there."

"You're my friend now, too," Valerie said. "We leave together or not at all."

"If what you say is true, and I am your friend, then respect my wish. I could die today if it is in service to you and Henry, and be happy. But if you die with me, then there is no redemption for what I've done," Sanguina said.