Chapter 36

Valerie hadn't given the Fractus in the Atacama Desert any warning before she gripped the rock from her garden in her pocket and left. Her sudden exit would be strange, but she hoped that they wouldn't be suspicious enough to report the incident to Reaper.

She saw movement in her house and slipped out of her garden before anyone called her inside. It wasn't time to release her disguise yet, and she didn't want Thai to see her looking like she'd aged thirty years in a day.

Instead, she turned her steps toward Silva, running at first, but slowing as she came closer. She reminded herself that she was another Fractus supporter going about life as usual.

But she couldn't hide her immediate reaction when she reached The Horseshoe. A handful of the buildings were rubble, including The Society of Imaginary Friends. Others were streaked with black, either from lightning cast by the Fractus or the black substance dredged up from Plymouth.

The Horseshoe was eerily empty for the middle of the day, except for a few Fractus who were patrolling the grounds.

Without warning, a storm of fire ballooned out from the windows of the Weapons Guild, engulfing two of the Fractus hovering nearby. They were incinerated. A high whistle filled the air, and Valerie heard thudding footsteps rumbling closer.

Fractus began charging the Weapons Guild, battering the front door and sending lightning again and again into the stone walls. There was a rhythm to it, as if the Fractus had rehearsed. This had happened before.

It dawned on Valerie that the citizens of Silva were fighting back against the Fractus even now. The scorched state of The Horseshoe was a testament to the ongoing battles. Reaper's hands were fuller than she'd guessed.

Valerie took advantage of the mayhem to pass through The Horseshoe and head toward the spot that Willa and Steven had blown open into Plymouth.

The closer she got, the more Fractus she ran into. At first, she ducked her head, afraid of being recognized. But everyone was busy with their tasks, and she welcomed the bustle. Being one face in a crowd was a better disguise than even the one Roza had given her.

At the edge of the pit, she peered in and saw that the vast lake of Carne had diminished significantly. Had it all been sent to the pool in the Atacama Desert, or did Reaper have other uses for it, as well?

She followed a group of Fractus down into the pit and saw that many of the tunnels were filled with workers, both Fractus and Groundlings who had been forced into slavery.

"They've found another well of Carne," one of the Fractus whispered to a friend.

The woman who had spoken was one of the Knights who wanted to leave the Fractus to join the Fist and was remaining only on Valerie's command. They would finally have a role fighting for the Fist in the upcoming battle.

The Knight continued, "We tried to hide its discovery from Reaper, but one of his new generals found it with us. Don't think the vivicus would have liked it if we killed the general and kept this magic from Reaper, but it's probably what we should have done."

Valerie considered revealing who she was, but decided against drawing attention to herself. And their opinions weren't unique among the members of the Fist. The longer the war raged, the more unreasonable her desire to capture instead of kill enemies seemed to many.

Valerie caught sight of Reaper in one of the tunnels, rubbing Carne between his thumb and forefinger as if he could tell more about its properties by touch.

He turned, and his gaze froze when it stopped on her. His face went white. Valerie was certain he recognized her, but he immediately created a portal and stepped through, cutting off the Fractus who was speaking to him midsentence.