Chapter 22

Sibyl sent Valerie and her team back to Arden equipped with plenty of supplies, so the trek back wasn't arduous. Valerie and Cerise walked with Claremont and Mira to the edge of Arden, where they would part ways.

"A word, Valerie," Mira said, pulling her a little away from the others. "The Knights in the Fractus who wish to fight for the Fist are growing restless. When will you give your order for them to turn against Reaper?"

"I think about asking those Knights to join us every day," Valerie said. "We are desperate for soldiers. But my instincts are telling me that Reaper is planning something, and with his discovery of Carne in Plymouth, he's already at an advantage. Knowing I have Knights acting as spies, ready to turn if he attacks, is the only weapon in my arsenal that he doesn't know about."

Mira nodded slowly. "I will tell the Knights to be patient, and to listen for whispers of Reaper's plans. They will be willing to wait a little longer, since it is you who asks it."

Then Claremont and Mira returned the way they'd come, through Arden's roller coaster system. Thai went with them because it was the quickest way back to his guild.

Valerie and Cerise returned to the cities in the trees so that Valerie could meet with leaders and visit Elden.

The walk back was quiet for a long time.

"Did you find what you were looking for in the Roaming City?" Valerie finally asked.

She turned to examine Cerise's face, only noticing now how pale and withdrawn she was.

"I found an answer, but it was not the one I sought," Cerise said.

"What do you mean?" Valerie asked, stopping in her tracks.

Cerise stopped walking and turned to face her.

"The People of the Woods have their own prophets, and one has foreseen my end," Cerise said.

Valerie couldn't process what Cerise was saying.

"A prophecy says you're going to die? Those things never mean what you think they do," Valerie said, gripping Cerise's shoulder.

"Our prophets are not like the Oracles. They do not speak in riddles, and they are never wrong. But to be sure, I went to the Roaming City to see if an Oracle could show me another path, but the Oracle who had words for me offered no hope."

"Maybe your prophet thought you'd die by that weapon that Putrefus's friend threw, and now you're safe," Valerie argued.

Cerise shook her head. "Death stalks the People of the Woods differently than other Conjurors. We live many centuries, but when death makes up his mind to come for us, he is relentless. I have lived longer than you could guess from my features. I would not dodge my fate, but for Emin. To be gifted with a child so late in life, and to leave him so soon... My heart cannot bear it."

A silver tear fell down Cerise's cheek and onto the ground. A little bud popped out from where it landed. Valerie watched in awe, and Cerise gave her a shaky smile.

"New life can be made so easily, but just as easily it can be taken away. Thrice now death has aimed his arrow at my heart, and thrice he has missed. The next time, he will not fail. I must prepare my son."

"I'll watch over him, Cerise," Valerie said. "I know what it is to be an orphan, and it is true that it can be lonely. But I will make sure Emin always has a family, in ties of love if not blood."

"Thank you, vivicus," Cerise whispered. "Emin is not completely accepted by my people because his father, now dead, was human. I know his uncle would take him in as a true son, but I do not know if Elden will ever recover, much less be able to take on raising a young boy."