Chapter 16

By the end of the week, all anyone in Elsinore was talking about was the upcoming Test of Power between Princess Kanti and the Reigning Royal, Ani.

Kanti trained relentlessly with Valerie, and Cyrus put some contingency plans in place to help ensure the outcome they needed.

The morning of the Test, Kanti's father, George, came into her room. His demeanor, along with the rest of the family's, was almost deferential now.

"Henry is at the main mirror again, Kanti dear," he said. "I've begun to feel quite sorry for the young man. And your mother says he is quite a powerful Conjuror."

Kanti rolled her eyes at his comment, but glanced down the hall.

"Say something to him," Valerie said.

Kanti straightened her back and nodded. Valerie followed her down a long hall to an immense mirror. Henry's face filled the glass. His hair was disheveled, and there was a wildness in his eyes. When he saw Kanti, he drank in the sight of her, and from across the Globe Valerie felt his relief.

"You're okay," he said. "Is it true that you're challenging Ani to some kind of battle?"

"It's a Test of Power. Nothing to worry about," Kanti lied.

Valerie knew otherwise, but Kanti showed no outward sign of the risk she was taking. Standing straight with her head high, Kanti was the embodiment of perfect confidence.

"I won't ask you not to do it," Henry said.

"Good, because I wouldn't change my mind, even for you. I'm doing the right thing," Kanti said. "You should try it. You'd be amazed how fearless you are when you've got right on your side."

Henry's eyes were unfocused as he answered, and Valerie's mind was disconnected from his, which scared her more than his grief and guilt.

"There's no one who could stop you, I know that. I'm sorry that I let you down. I love you," he said.

Kanti's rigid posture relaxed a little.

"Me, too," she replied, but Henry's face had already disappeared from the screen.

"After this is over, I'll find Henry, and we'll fix what's broken between us," Kanti said, her eyes a little desperate as they searched Valerie's.

"You will. We're going to make it all right," Valerie said.

The challenge was scheduled for the end of the day. Kanti, Valerie, and Cyrus rode in an enormous silver ice carriage through the town. People crowded the streets the entire way, waving and cheering. Some held flags stitched with white swans in the air, chanting Kanti's name. Ani's Fractus supporters wore black and glared at the carriage.

The horses stopped in a town square that had an elevated platform made of solid ice. Etched into the ice was the image of a crown.

Kanti was quiet now, but her voice didn't shake when she turned to Cyrus and Valerie.

"Don't interfere. I know I said Val would be backup if something goes wrong, but it won't. You'll come in too soon, and you have to trust me that I can do this," Kanti said.

"Please don't ask me to watch you die," Valerie begged.

"I'm not. I'm asking you to watch me win."

Kanti exited the carriage, and Cyrus and Valerie tried to melt into the crowd around the platform. But they were swarmed by the tiny birds that were buzzing over everyone's heads.

"What does the princess think her chances are?" one squeaked.

"How is she doing today?" another chirped.