Chapter 8

Somewhere in the recesses of her mind, Valerie knew that Cyrus was planning a huge party on the last day of the truce with the Fractus. But she was still surprised when she stepped out of the Capitol building after a long day of negotiating with the Grand Masters to see The Horseshoe elaborately decorated. Music played, though not loudly yet, and glittering lights hung in the air like fairy children, reminding Valerie of her first date with Cyrus.

Cyrus had also permanently lit the multi-colored path around The Horseshoe that usually only glowed when it was stepped on. The result was otherworldly. Which she supposed it literally was.

When Valerie's foot touched the bottom step of the Capitol building, it lit up in a blaze, and all eyes turned to her. She laughed as fireworks shot up around her.

"To the brilliant, pure, beautiful leader of all that is right with the world, Valerie Diaz!" Cyrus's voice was amplified all around her.

In response, the hundreds of Conjurors gathered in the courtyard whooped. Valerie flushed at their response to her entrance, unable to hide her surprise.

After a beat, she burst out laughing. Cyrus had turned her into a rock star worthy of Hollywood.

She caught Cyrus's eye. He was standing to the side of the Capitol building, and he shrugged when he met her gaze. Her smile must have been huge, because his whole face lit up when he returned her smile with one of his own. It hit her then how long it had been since she'd seen him this happy.

A booming base drummed out a beat that everyone began dancing to, turning the spotlight away from Valerie. She launched herself into Cyrus's waiting arms.

"Thank you," she whispered.

"I remember when you wanted to be a rock star," he said. "I think you were eight. And now, a mere ten years later, you kinda are, minus the guitar."

Valerie hadn't thought about that in a long time. Any dreams of standing out from the crowd, dazzling people and attracting attention, had been beaten out of her in foster care. But Cyrus was right. Once upon a time, she hadn't shied away from the spotlight like she did now.

Valerie saw Thai watching her with Cyrus, but the smile on his face was genuine. He joined the throng dancing to the beat thrumming around them, his graceful dance moves melting into the crowd.

Nearby, Dulcea and Jack danced together, their bodies moving like they were one person. With them was a crowd of boys that Valerie didn't recognize at first without the black stitches on their throats. Her heart grew even fuller as she watched them enjoying the music and checking out girls.

"Come on!" Cyrus said, pulling Valerie into the bobbing mass of bodies.

Valerie gave into the music, letting go of her worries for a little while. Even Henry joined in the dancing.

"I've got a surprise for you, too, sis," Henry said a while later, gesturing to a speck in the distance that was flying toward them.

It was Dasan, the leader of Henry's guild, the Empathy Collective. Everyone cheered as he flew above their heads.

Henry's mind was open enough that she could sense that he was lending his power to Dasan. Together, they cast a spell of peace over the crowd in The Horseshoe. As Dasan's magic trickled down, like a soft, warm rain, Valerie let it wash away her worries.

Colors were brighter, and the light in her mind was able to overtake the dark, for once. Dasan settled to the ground beside them.

"Thank you, Dasan," Valerie said. She felt so light, she thought she might float away.