Chapter 20

While Cyrus sent messages about the twins' news to the various leaders in the Fist, Valerie ran to the Empathy Collective, where Sibyl and the other Oracles who had fled the Roaming City in Ephesus were living.

Despite the late hour, Valerie found her friend in the garden behind the Collective. Sibyl fluttered from flower to flower, absorbing each scent. But when she turned and saw Valerie, she appeared unsurprised.

"Is it time?" Sibyl asked.

"I'm not sure what you mean," Valerie said.

Sibyl's little body shook silently, and Valerie realized she was laughing.

"I am still unused to living around anyone other than Oracles. One of our novices said that the time was nigh for us to retake the Roaming City. Is that the news you bear?" Sibyl asked.

Valerie sat down on a bench. "I came to see if any of you were drawn to give me a prophecy about how Reaper will use the magic he's tapped into in Plymouth, but maybe you're right. There are a number of answers that can only be found inside your city."

Valerie knew that Putrefus had given Reaper a prophecy when he'd visited the Roaming City with her when she only knew him as Chern, the bumbling Grand Master of the History Guild. The words of that prophecy could give them an inside look into his motives, or possibly explain why he so badly wanted Valerie to kill someone by her own hand.

"The tug of our home has grown ever stronger, but we did not wish to draw away resources when you have so few," Sibyl said.

"You can always come to me and tell me what you need," Valerie said. "The Oracles' insights have given us an advantage in many battles. It's our turn to help you."

"Fighting for right is not a favor," Sibyl said sternly. "But I do believe that we are being drawn back to the desert for a reason."

"I'll gather a team to take back the city," Valerie said. "With Cyrus's new light magic in our weapons, and Reaper's forces being funneled to battles on Earth, I think this is a fight we can win."

"So say our prophecies, as well," Sibyl agreed.

"Then let's take your home back," Valerie said.

Valerie allowed herself two nights of rest and a full day of planning before trekking to Ephesus. Thai came with her, and Mira and Claremont would join them at the border of the desert of Ephesus.

"Do you think there are enough of us to take over the Roaming City?" Thai asked as they climbed a tree up to Arbor Aurum.

"Enough or not, it's all the soldiers we can afford," Valerie said. "I'd even leave you in Arden, saving lives, if you'd let me."

"I know you fight the Fractus on your own all the time, but this is different. You don't know who will be waiting for you in the Roaming City, and I want to be there in the event Reaper shows up with an army to support him," Thai said.

Valerie shrugged, but she was glad of his company. The warmth of his presence kept the chill of her guilt and fear at bay.

They pushed their way up the trunk, through the leaves, and found Cerise waiting for them at the top with her son, Emin. Emin's eyes sparkled with delight when he saw her, and he immediately jumped onto her back.

"I missed you, too," Valerie choked out as he gripped her neck with his little hands.

"Lemme come fight with you! Mom says no, but you can make her let me, since you're her boss!" Emin said.

Valerie suppressed a smile as Cerise glared at her, daring her to overrule her decree.

"It doesn't work that way, Emin. Your mom's always the boss of you," Valerie said, and was rewarded with a small nod from Cerise. "But even if I could, I wouldn't bring you. Every good knight knows that he has to train before he can fight in a battle. That training takes a long, long time."