Chapter 4

After a long day of getting the Society of Imaginary Friends back in order, Henry forced Valerie to rest in Dulcea's office, and she didn't protest too much. She was used to the exhaustion that followed the release of her vivicus power, but this time, there was something else. As she turned the incident with Zunya over in her mind, the details kept escaping her. It was like her memory of what happened had eroded.

The thought made her shudder. Was her mind beginning to disintegrate, like Darling's?

The day was almost over before the Guild was back in some sort of order, though almost everyone had been sent home. Valerie's friends joined her in Dulcea's office after Zunya's boys had been transported to the Healer's Guild and all of the apprentices of the Guild were safely in the dorm.

Not for the first time, Valerie wished that Kanti was with them. According to Henry and Kanti's sister, Isabella, Kanti was busy with her duties as a princess in Elsinore. Aside from the fact that they could use her practical advice right now, Valerie missed the support of one of her closest friends. But they were all doing what they had to, and Kanti was hopefully raising an army in her home country that would give them an advantage against the Fractus.

"This guild is in one piece thanks to all of you," Dulcea said, passing around a tray of her famous chocolates. "I've been Grand Master for five minutes, and already, it was nearly destroyed."

"Strictly coincidence," Jack said, kissing her cheek. "You're the best thing that ever happened to this guild."

Dulcea smiled as Cyrus, Valerie, Thai, and Henry all chimed in with their agreement.

"I know we've got business to talk about, but first, I want to toast Dulcea," Valerie said. "In the middle of an awful time, you becoming Grand Master of this guild is a bright spark."

"Now I'll have a vote when the Grand Masters convene," Dulcea said. "And you can bet I'll be harassing the ones who are working with the Fractus to see the light and join the Fist."

"I pity them, trying to resist your sweetness," Jack said.

His exuberance was unmistakable, and Valerie could see that having his friends safely in Arden, away from Zunya at last and being treated by the Fist's healers, had removed any dark clouds hanging over him. Now, he could enjoy being young and in love, even if they were in the middle of a war.

"Enough already," Thai teased. "I'm on sugar overload watching you two."

"I'm shocked that I have to be the voice of reason here, but can we talk about Zunya? I think I should go and finish him off once and for all. Did you see how I almost killed him?" Cyrus couldn't keep the pride out of his voice.

"Whoa there, Super Mario. He's not going to make that mistake twice," Thai said.

Valerie and Henry released a surprised laugh at Thai's reference, but everyone else looked puzzled.

"It's an Earth-thing, from a video game," Henry said. "Mario is this little plumber who can throw fireballs..."

Henry trailed off as Dulcea, Jack, and Cyrus stared at them in obvious bewilderment.

Valerie found herself really laughing for the first time in weeks. She and Henry gripped each other, unable to stop giggling. She suspected that they were both a little hysterical.

Dulcea, Jack, and Thai smiled at them, but then Valerie met Cyrus's gaze and her humor vanished. He was staring at her with something unfathomable in his gaze, but it wasn't amusement.

After the meeting ended, Cyrus and Valerie left the Guild together, their hands loosely linked, while Henry walked next to them, his expression distracted.

"It was good to see you laugh tonight," Cyrus said, letting go of her hand. "But I thought I'd be the one to finally make you do it."

Valerie didn't know what to say, so she changed the subject. "Thank you for not running after Zunya today. I know you wanted to."

"But you are planning to send me after him, right? Once we form a good plan?" Cyrus asked.

"Cy, maybe you should practice your new power first. Are you sure you can even do it again?" Valerie asked.

"Stop talking to me like I'm a kid! I've been fighting this war as long as you have, even if I'm not the almighty leader of the Fist," he said. Then, under his breath, he added, "But maybe if I were the one leading, Zunya would be dead and we'd be a lot closer to winning this war."

Valerie could tell from the scowl on Henry's face that he'd heard Cyrus.

"Watch it," Henry said. "She's the one in charge for a lot of reasons, one of which is that she doesn't have a giant ego."

Cyrus's jaw clenched, but then, his eyes met Valerie's and he looked down. "Sorry, Val. I didn't mean it. I came so close to doing something important today, something heroic, and it's killing me that, in the end, I failed."

"Zunya will get what's coming to him," Henry said with more conviction than Valerie had heard in his voice for weeks.

Cyrus nodded and then split away from them, heading to his dorm while Valerie and Henry continued home.

"Can you imagine if we really could have ten days of peace?" Valerie asked her brother. "It's probably not leader-like to admit, but I'd love one day of doing something fun."

"I wanted to talk to you about that. I believe Zunya. I think Reaper's offer is genuine," Henry said.

Valerie turned to him in surprise, trying to read his expression in the moonlight, since his mind was completely closed to her.

"Are you sure enough to put the people of Plymouth at risk?" she asked.

Henry nodded. "It's not easy transporting things across the Globe, especially big things or people, fast."

"Even if his offer is genuine, it must be pretty important stuff he wants to move around if he's willing to give us a break," Valerie argued.

"Maybe he wants a break, too. We've got him on the defensive, at least on Earth, with that program Thai created. They're not making the progress finding the charm binding Earth's magic they thought they would. I mean, I'm guessing."

Valerie considered his words. "All right. I'll talk to a few people first, and if no one has strong objections, I'll accept Reaper's offer."

Henry stopped walking and turned to her. "Just like that?"

"I trust your judgment, Henry. Every single one of us needs a break from the constant battles. Even if it's for a little while."

Henry winced at her words.

"What is it?" she asked.

"You have so much faith in me. I don't deserve it," he said.

"You're my brother, my only family. I love you more than anyone in the universe," she said.

"Me, too," Henry said, his voice a little wobbly.

The rest of their walk home was quiet. Valerie thought about how grateful she was that even though she'd lost her father, she still had a family. She wasn't alone.

Butwhat Henry thought about that put such a deep, worried frown on his face shecouldn't guess.