Chapter 23

Valerie was in a bed in the Healers' Guild, Thai on one side of her and Nightingale on the other, checking her pulse. She pushed herself up so she was sitting.

"I'll explain everything later, but can you go help Henry?" Valerie said. "He's by the tree that leads to Arbor Aurum."

Thai kissed her forehead and left.

"I'm okay, but thanks for looking out for me," she said awkwardly to Nightingale. Then she thought of something. "I know you can cure almost any disease on the Globe, right?"

"Most of the diseases that a human might face, perhaps. But we are not gods. We cannot stop aging, or death, or terrible wounds like the ones that Reaper's black weapons inflict," Nightingale said. "There are also magical diseases with no cures."

"What about mental diseases?" she asked.

Nightingale examined her narrowly. "What is wrong with your mind?"

"Not mine," she said. "But I think my brother is suffering from depression. Can you help him?"

Nightingale's expression cleared as he considered her question. "I am not the expert on cures of the mind. But there is a Grand Master who may be able to help you."

"Dasan," Valerie said, and Nightingale nodded.

"He is your best hope for helping your brother."

Valerie found Dasan at the Empathy Collective. The giant Feng was teaching a class to novice Empaths, and Valerie waited until he finished before approaching.

He cocked his head to the side, watching her with beady eyes.

"You must know why I'm here," Valerie said.

"Your brother is growing sicker," Dasan replied.

"You told me once that he might lose himself after his dad died. And I'm afraid he is. Can you help him?"

"His is a case I have considered more deeply than any other in this life," Dasan said. "There is nothing I can do to help him."

"What about magic? There has to be some way to save him," Valerie said, not letting herself give into the desperation that made her want to scream and never stop.

"Henry will always struggle with the dark beast that has sunken its fangs into his spirit, no matter what direction his life takes now. However, he could fight its hold on him if he could live a normal life. Up until now, this beast within him has been fed and fed and fed by years of mental torture, losing his father, and now the guilt of aiding an enemy in murder. The beast is strong now, stronger than any I've known in the many minds I've touched in this life."

"But there is nothing normal about our lives. So is Henry doomed?" Valerie asked, and her very soul shrank from Dasan's answer.

The bird's eyes were gentle as he replied. "I am a creature that believes there is always the possibility of new life. Henry is no exception. There is one thing that starves this beast within Henry. Can you guess what it is?"

Valerie thought for a long time. She knew there was a beast like the one Dasan described within her, too, and she knew the only thing that kept it at bay.

"Love," she whispered.

Dasan nodded. "Your love, my love, and the love of all his friends will starve the beast. But until Henry finds love for himself, the beast will never die."

Valerie was leaving the Empathy Collective when she saw two figures approaching from a long distance away. She recognized Thai, but it wasn't until they were closer that she identified the boy whose hand he was holding.