Chapter Four:

The setting for a supper with a royal family is suppose to be luxiorious and refined. The tension building up within me somehow knew that was most likely the opposite of what tonight was going to be. I put on a satin scarlet dress that stopped just above my knees. I locked up the amulet that kept me protected and instead wore my other's old medallion. The necklace had a huge ruby that was held by a dragon's claw. Legend says that when you woke the dragon it would strengthen your powers beyond belief. The sun set signaling the time for dinner. By the time I made it downstairs, everyone had already introduced themselves to Merilyn and Maura. My seat was in between Rydel and Riker this time.

   "Hey Mel." my youngest sister, Merilyn, greeted.

   I smiled at her acknowledgment. "Welcome, Merilyn. How have you been?"

   "Well, I've been pretty good until I just found out you were keeping the Elemental Circle hidden from both of us." she joked. Merilyn was the complete opposite of Maura. She was genuine. 

    "There are some other things she forgot to mention too." Maura mumbled so only the three of us could hear it. Somehow, the three of us were blessed with an unusual talent for witches, enhanced senses. 

    Merilyn noticed the rocky road between us. "Your cooks really outdid themselves today. This pui soup is amazing." Maura rolled her eyes at the Romanian word. She was among the many witches who preferred the modern way of casting spells.

    "Something tells me pui is some gross food rich people eat." Ratliff set his spoon down at the word. 

   I smiled at him. "Pui is Romanian for chicken." 

   Everyone got a good laugh from that but the atmosphere was still tense. "You are all beautiful but look nothing alike." Ross mentioned trying to break the ice. 

   "Thank the gods." Maura laughed. "My grandmother says I look like my dad and Merilyn is a mixture of our parents. Then, good ole Elody looks like our fabulous mother. You're still close to her aren't you?"

   That did it right there. Everyone had wide eyes except the two of us. "Why do you want to start something with me, Maura?" 

   She shrugged. "Because I don't like people who think they are better than me and hide things that pertain to all three of us. We love her two."

   "You don't know what you're talking about." I warned. 

   "She's our mother! Of course, we love her! You have no right to keep something from us!" Merilyn now joined in. 

   "I'm only keeping it from you to protect you." I tried to keep calm but I could feel their frustration building inside of me. Something in the back of my head was starting to irritate me to but I couldn't put my finger on what it was.

   "Why would you have to protect us from our own flesh and blood?" Maura hissed. She was now yelling but no one entered the dining room.

   "Because you don't need to know the details right now." I answered. Riker put his hand on my leg as comfort. I looked at him and silently thanked him for being there for me.

   Maura stood up. "So what? You think because you are the oldest and she can communicate with only you that you can willfully hide where she is!" 

   "Maura, sit down. We are having dinner." I instructed. 

   She shook her head. "No. I don't have to listen to a damn thing you say until you tell me where the hell my mother is!"

   "Maura, I'm not going to tell you again. Sit down."