Chapter Twenty-Four:

Looking at him face to face now, I could definitely see the resemblance between Aegus and his supposed brother. They had the same golden eyes that appeared to see the flaws in every plan and every person. He didn’t say anything at first as we stood in the small closet. He just stood there for a moment looking at me, hoping I’d be the person to speak up even though he had pulled me in here. His back was against the door which gave me no leverage to attempt an escape.

“I thought you would be bombarding me questions right now. I know your guards have already talked to you about me,” he muttered, chuckling to himself just like Aegus always did when we talked. “Don’t even try to lie to me and tell me you didn’t mention me either. I have insight you would never believe.”

I glared at him for a moment. “Who are you? Aegus never mentioned he had a brother to me. We were close, so I would be the person he would tell if he had any family. If you truly are his family, why aren’t you the least bit upset that he is gone forever?”

“My name is Wesley Pirvu. Actually, I am not the brother of Aegus, who knew who I was when I came asking for you. Aegus and I have been acquainted for quite some time now, but he didn’t need my services until recently. I am sure you have heard this a bunch lately, but I am not upset that he sacrificed himself because he did it for someone who he respected. Princess, if I may, I would like to tell you everything you don’t know that’s going on in your kingdom. Your citizens are categorized into social classes without your knowledge. Of course, you have the royals, then guards, then commoners, but what class you don’t know about are the derbedeu.” he exclaimed.

“The rogue. Who are they? We never cast anyone out so what are they trying to hide from?” I questioned. What else did I not know about the kingdom I was about to inherit?

Wesley talked at a faster pace now like he was in a rush to get somewhere. “The derbedeu are a group of witches that are sort of on the verge of demonic status, but they don’t kill innocents. They just strip them of their powers to gain ranks among one another. In a way, they kind of want to challenge a higher authority, but the rogues believe you will be a huge benefactor to the realm. You aren’t their target. The Council of Magic is who they want to overthrow. Aegus knew about them for a while, but he didn’t bother hunting them down himself because they weren’t a threat to you.”

“So, why did he come to you for help recently? Obviously, they aren’t trying to kill me. They are just on a power spree. The guards can take care of them very easily,” The whole situation was confusing me. Why was here telling me about what was happening in the kingdom whenever I was about to fight for my life in a few days?

“An oracle came by the castle about a week before I told the code phrase to the guards about seeing you. The only reason I came to see Aegus that day was because of what she told him. She said that he couldn’t escape death forever and his time to accomplish his ultimate task was approaching. Aegus wanted me to tell you all of the information he had been keeping from you if he didn’t have the chance to do it. You know he did not want anything to happen to you because you alone can change the course of history. You came here seeking the very information that could determine who the wielder of the Curse was. I will tell you this right now the probability that you will get in to see The Books of the Realms is highly unlikely. Spirits are always lurking around and sealing the door so no one can get in. However, Aegus knew who had it. The derbedeu know who has it. That’s who they want to find. Honestly, I have no clue who it is, but if you truly believe that is the only way to be successful in this fight then you need to find them.”

I considered this idea for a moment. “Even if I wanted to go and talk to them, I have no way of finding them. Rogues generally aren’t wearing shirts proclaiming their betrayal.”