Chapter Ten:

Before today, I was never allowed to see the university my people learned witchcraft at, but I had heard stories. The building stood tall in the Forbidden Forest, a place where magical creatures dwell without worrying about practical jokes some witches will play on them in the city. It appeared as if it was hundreds of years old and was once a city versus a school. The red bricks made it pop amongst the brilliant green Oak trees that reached high to the sky. Everyone sat in awe as we never let our eyes leave the sight for one second. A group of guards greeted us as soon as we entered the gates.

  “Princess, it is a pleasure to work with you. I am Jensen and I will be on your service while you are staying here.” a kind man introduced. He was easily around twenty and was probably drafted after he finished school. Jensen stood tall with short brown hair and deep blue eyes. Confidence radiated from him as he held his position.

  I smiled at him to lighten the tension. “There is no need in calling me Princess. Since all of the guards risk their lives to protect us, I believe it is only fair that you call Melody.”

  “Yes ma’am. Can I do anything for you right now?” he asked as politely as a man could get. The rule with guards was they were suppose to treat their superiors with the utmost respect. Most of them take this to such extreme measures that they barely talk to whoever they are protecting, but Jensen was different.

  “It would be lovely if you could just escort us to our rooms. Everyone should have some time to relax before they train in the high levels of this school,” I gave him a friendly wink. He knew how stressful this place was. He had to train here before he could be accepted as a guardian.

  “Of course, madam. Lady Scarlett and Lady Capri, it is a pleasure to have you back. The university has not been the same with your temporary absence.” Jensen told them.

 Scarlett did not seem amused by his joke. “Maybe the students will actually behave now that we are back. Tell me, Jensen, how close are the demonic forces to this school?”

  “Scarlett, it is none of our business about what is going on. The princesses should only be informed. It is not our place.” Capri hissed.

  “The hell it isn’t. We have run this school for a long time, and I intend for it to stay that way. Whatever is going on that can jeopardize the foundation we created, we have a right to know!” Scar yelled attracting attention from passing students.

  Maura stepped in before I could. “Scarlett is right. By the power of the Princess of Magius, all knowledge of safety concerns are authorized to be heard by the headmistresses of Witch University.”

  Jensen looked at me in shock. “Is she allowed to do that?”

  “She just did,” I looked at Maura with a new perspective. She wasn’t just a rebellious wild insane teenager anymore. She was fit to be a ruler, and everyone was going to see that with her newfound attitude.

  Jensen quickly briefed us about the situation. “The demons penetrated the walls of the North Castle as you know, but were quickly vanquished. However, there have been frequent attacks in that area. Casualties have been kept to a very low minimum-.”

  “How low?” I interrupted.

  “Fourteen guards were killed and ten civilians. Protection in that castle was lowered for the time being and was increased in the Enchanted Castle and Witch University. Over three thousand guards are protecting the castle and over five thousand are either at the university or surrounding. Forcefields have been strengthened by all professors and students containing that power. Also, charms were established to ward off evil beings and create another barrier of protection. It would take the Curse to destroy the chamber we have built.”