Chapter Nine:

“Mel, are you just going to leave my dad standing in the door?” Riker joked, prying the door from my tight grip.

  Mark smiled at me. If Stormie knew who my dad was, which shouldn’t have happened, then maybe she knew more and he was just hinting. “I’m sorry. Where are my manners at? Mark, please come in!”

  “I think I’ve done enough.” he replied. “We need to leave now. I brought the tour bus so you could have a mini-lesson during the half hour drive.”

  I shook my head to his surprise. “As much as I hate to say this, I actually need to run an errand. I’m going to have to miss this interview.”

  Maura, of course, had to stick her two sense into the conversation. “That’s absolutely absurd! You have to go to the interview! We can’t split up when the Elemental Circle needs us the most.” She handed me a silver box with the symbol of Magius, an owl with a pentagram on its chest and two olive trees. “I was snooping through your bag to find an extra knife but instead I found this.”

  “What is this?” I said oblivious to where this came from.

  Maura rolled her eyes. “Do I have to tell you how to do everything? If you don’t know what is in it, then you open up the box. I would’ve done it myself but it is opened with your amulet only.”

  I moved out of the doorway. “Come on. We will open it in my room.”

  She followed me like an eager kid ready to find out what presents he would receive on their birthday. Shutting the door, Maura took a seat on my bed while I sat in the desk chair next to the door. I unlatched my silver amulet and gently place it on the designated spot on the mysterious box. As if to please the suspense in both of us, the box was a snail opening as slowly as it could manage. Five amulets were draped delicately in the interior velvet-all with the R5 symbol, one red, blue, green, yellow, and a very light pink. Each one represented the different elements.

  “Aegus left them each an amulet.” I laughed. A small part of me was deathly afraid it was a secret letter or death potion.

  “Dibs on handing them out!” she squealed snatching the box right out of my hands. Her new quirky personality was way better than her usual bitchy self. Maura called everyone into the living room and handed them out. Merilyn stood in the back of the room, observing everything about the amulet. What was up with her lately?

  “As much fun as this has been, we really have to go. Ellen has dedicated this whole show to you and we have to be there on time.” Mark yelled. We all exited single file like cute little kindergarteners which was about the age kids actually went to Witch University.

  Too busy looking at every single painting in the hallways, I quickly fell far behind from the others. I turned the corner to be surprised by someone ready to jump me. The man leaped out at me without even looking to see who I was. With one blow to the stomach, I pinned him down to eventually find out it was just a regular bystander.

  “Sorry, lady. I was trying to scare my girlfriend. You have extraordinary reflexes. Are you like a foreign boxer or wrestler or something?” the stranger questioned in a very deep southern accent. My amulet didn’t sense any bit of demonic ancestry in him, and with that accent he was not from any of the realms.

  “No, I apologize for my actions. Have a nice day.” I replied and walked off before anymore questions could escape his mouth.

  Riker must’ve noticed my absence because he was walking back in my direction. “Mel, are you okay?”

  I nodded still a little bit shaken up from the incident. I’d attacked an innocent person because I was horrified of what I could become. Demon blood burned deep inside of me and no one even realized it. Maybe the reason I had my power outbreaks came from the fact that I was the daughter of the Lord of Darkness.