Chapter Five: Melody

The night seemed to go along smoothly at first. Besides all of the gossiping about the latest royal rumors and outfit choices for the night. The Council of Magic, dressed in their black suits and black dresses, stood in the corner the whole time but would occasionally make an effort to socialize with the other guests. Riker and I spent most of the making jokes and attracted the occasional look from a ruler of another realm but what they thought of us didn't matter at all to me. I didn't even notice Astrid until she spoke up.

   "Thanks for the invite, Melody." she said. No one seemed very interested in talking to her with the pregnancy rumor going around.

   "Anytime, Astrid. I would like you to meet Riker. He is apart of the Elemental Circle." I introduced. She curtsied at him but he just looked at her like she was some foreign species.

   "Very nice to meet you. I would love it if you would accompany me to the after party. It's just for the younger royals and trust me it is far more intriguing than this." she tried to work a suggestion spell but Riker seemed to be immune.

   He shook his head. "Thanks for the offer but I can't leave my date."

   "Well then, I'll have to find someone else." Astrid turned and walked off trying to show that the rejection didn't faze her. 

   "It's the pregnancy hormones." I assured him.

   "She's pregnant?"

   I laughed. Maybe he was a little spellbound from her. "Don't you see how she isn't wearing a tight dress like the other young royals. She is trying to hide her delicate condition."

   Beatrice, one of the Council members, approached us. "Hello, Melody. Delightful dance. I see that you have a very handsome date as well."

   Riker put his arm around me to show his thanks. "I did get really lucky. What can I do for you?" I didn't bother to tell her his name because they already knew all about him.

   "Well, the Council is being very paranoid about a lot so I decided to inform you on the situations so if they do get deeper you aren't randomly attacked. First, they are worried about the meaning of two powerful circles. They are also questioning your loyalty because of your reluctance to inform us of the Elemental Circle." she explained. Beatrice may be on the Council but she doesn't have the stuck-up I-can-do-whatever-I-want-personality.

   "Seriously? I've been busy with a lot of things. I'm not even queen yet. I don't have to answer to them." Normally, that was something I should've never said to a Council member but Beatrice knew where I was coming from.

   "That's what I said. There last worry is over your relationship with him." she gestured towards Riker.

   I knew all of the Council had their eyes glued on the three of us so I did the one thing I knew would piss off all of them. "Tell them to go to hell. This is my life and I'll make my own decisions." I leaned over and kissed a very surprised Riker. The cameras swarmed around us, desperate to catch a picture of the royal kiss.

I don’t know what is was that made my body feel very uneasy. Maybe it was the loud music blaring throughout the hall. Maybe it was the selfish royals complaining about how hard their lives were and how no one showed them respect. Maybe it was the prophecy and future everyone was swooning over. I looked at Rydel who was covering her head from the voices filling her head.

  Aegus had already seen what I had just spotted. He handed me the pain killers and suggested I’d give her a few inspirational words or lies rather. With the power of spirit, mainly emotions swirled around in your head but for the magical beings that didn’t mentally protect themselves you could hear their thoughts.