Chapter Twenty-Two:

Most people have a very exasperating habit they repeat constantly whenever they are nervous. Mine just so happens to be tapping. Tap tap tapping. The first time I ever had to face the Council of Magic I had performed this habit a million times. I was fifteen years old whenever I had my first summons. Aegus was the person I chose to escort me to that beautifully treacherous place. The maids had to practically drag me out of bed that morning; the seamstresses had to practically force me into the gorgeous green gown they’d crafted for this special occasion. The gown was lined with gold thread that could make anyone appear to be royal even the demon killing teenager I was. My usual hairstyle was changed to a crown braid that added to that imperialistic effect even more. I still remember every single moment of that experience.

“Princess, did you ever think that one day that awful habit you have developed was going to create an earthquake or landslide? Your powers come with some very strange triggers that will come and go over time. Remind me to teach you a lesson over that when we return back to the castle,” Aegus explained.

I frowned at the comment. “Aegus, I have the biggest day of my life right now. The last thing I need is a lecture over my powers. I have already heard the I-have-so-much-potential-so-I-should-not-waste-it-on-petty-things-speech.” I snapped like the spoiled brat I once was. Just because you have wealth, class, and power, doesn’t make you entitled to anything. This was a lesson I could never thank Aegus enough for teaching me.

He chuckled. “My dear, if you think this is the biggest day of your life, you truly are naive as to what the world has to offer. Melody, you have not seen the true beauty of how people impact your life until they are gone. You have a kingdom to change, secrets to discover, and a love to find. Imagine how you are going to feel on your wedding day. Oh child, the tapping is going to be ruthless then.”

I shot him the look I always gave him when he teased me. “Aegus, will you promise me something?” He smiled and nodded. “Will you swear on all Thirteen Realms that when I get married you will walk me down the aisle? The tapping won’t be as bad if I have you at my side.”

Aegus, who had never had any children, would have truly felt honored for the opportunity to give away his daughter figure. “Melody, you didn’t even have to ask me that. Of course I will be there right next to you on your wedding day.”

________

The room we were assigned to had been cleared temporarily for our stay. I glanced around looking for the supplies Liam had talked about, but I guessed they would have been moved to the closet. All guest rooms would be considered a suite to human standards, way to big for a single person. However, there was only one bedroom in this guest room. In the bedroom, there was one king-sized bed that I imagined we be as soft and comfortable as a million fluffy pillows. A fainting couch was directly to the right of the bed and was also in front of a balcony overlooking the lake outside of the castle. Extra pillows and blankets were already sitting on a chair on the other side of the room. The boys went straight to the bedroom and started their shower cycle. Rocky went first while Ross and Ellington worked on a new song.

My place was on a red velvet chair in the sitting room. It probably been a good twenty minutes of reading a spell book before I was interrupted. “Hey Mel. I just came to see if you were going to take a shower next or if you just want to go to bed.”

“Curățați-mă din cap până-n picioare,” I murmured and instantly my body was cleaned from head to toe.

Rocky laughed to himself and grabbed the book I was reading. “Wouldn’t that be considered personal gain? You know using magic because you don’t want to take a shower and relax in warm water?”

“I’m sure the gods would understand if I used magic just this once. After taking Aegus from me, it is the least they can do.” I looked in the corner of my eye and noticed the table shaking violently. With one deep breath, I relaxed my emotions to stop the slight tremors.