Chapter Eight:

Unlike the human fairytales, a Conjuring isn’t talking to deceased beings to get them to pass on or stop causing commotion. The purpose of a magical Conjuring is to communicate with them for a long period of time to get information. The dead can’t talk to a living person longer than a few minutes, at most, before their magic levels die and they are forced to dwell back in the ghostly place they came from. Summoning ghosts, also takes a huge toll physically and mentally. Ghosts don’t like to be messed with usually and will tell you whatever will make you release the grasp you have that temporarily holds them to our very much alive universe.

  Maura pulled out a bunch of potion ingredients and a small cauldron which made Rocky crack up in the corner. After a long explanation of the process, the Elemental Circle agreed to spectate the confrontation and try to not talk for the most part. I put in the Wiccan ingredients cornflower, Chrysanthemum, dandelions, and Dittany of Crete to start the spell. Merilyn, Maura and I each cut our hands with Maura’s treasured knife and let drops of blood drip out into the normal-sized metallic bowl. Maura and Merilyn began their verse to the song.

  “Blood to blood,

  Here our call,

  Spirits searching in our realm,

   Come to me,

   I summon thee.”

I spoke my verse next.

“De sânge pentru sânge,

   Aici apelul nostru,

   Va rugam sa ne ghida la cel care avem nevoie

   Aduce esență-o la mine.”

  Our grandmother’s body shimmered before us. She still had the same long brown hair and icy blue eyes like me but her complexion was still darker even as a ghost. Her angelic white toga that flowed around her like a beautiful white river drifting through the room. She winked at me when she noticed Riker standing in the back.

  “I knew you would figure out to contact me.” Grandmother said with approval. I shivered at the purity in her voice. She might look like my mother but they were complete opposites. For one, my grandmother would never be caught around demons unless she was decapitating them which is what eventually got her killed.

  “What do you need?” Merilyn managed. She wasn’t the best at encounters with the other side. In fact, she almost had the same transparency as our grandma.

  She paced around each of us taking in our new appearances. “I came to inspire you. Something my daughter couldn’t handle. Enough about my reckless child though. Melody, you have power beyond belief yet you hold yourself back. Nepoată, you can handle what is inside of you. You just don’t realize your powers are limitless. Maura, you need to stop acting like your mother and start taking magic more seriously. You are wrecking your life and when the time comes to fight someone ten times as strong as you, you will just crumble under their strength. Merilyn, my sweet sweet Merilyn, you hold the light that guides us. Learn to use it properly and you will see everything before it happens. Foresight is the key to victory.”

  Maura looked her over, thinking through what she was about to say. “Grandmother, if we are going to battle the Legendary Seven, why can’t we search for the witch that possesses the Curse? That will guarantee our success.”

  If a ghost could slap someone, my grandmother would’ve done it right then. “That treacherous power must not be unleashed upon the realms again. The witch it was given to will keep it sealed and I know she will never purposely summon it.”

  “Yeah because she doesn’t even know what ability to conjure it.” Maura mumbled. I’m sure Grandmother heard it but was just ignoring her words.