Chapter Twenty-Eight

There are times when you wish that the world would just stay frozen. When you can just sit back and enjoy every part of life without having to worry about what you are going to be doing tomorrow or who you have to impress or how you are going to move forward. It is these times that will remain ingrained in our minds as the best of times. The time when we were the happiest. Unfortunately, in the magical realms, these periods do not seem to last very long.

The window of Riker's room let in a cool spring breeze that brushed my bare skin as I curled up against the warm body next to me. I could smell the flowers beginning to bloom as the season of rebirth continued to inch towards us. I hadn't been able to fall asleep, whether it was from my anticipation from what was going to happen tonight or trying to block out any distractions in my dream, I was unsure of. I knew it would not be long until it was time to prepare for what was to come, but for now I would continue to lie here enjoying what could be my last moment of peace and tranquility. What could be my last moment with Riker. To imagine that a year ago I had no Earthly idea who this man in bed with me was seemed absurd in the slightest. We had grown close in the time we had together, but I was afraid that it would all be coming to again sooner than I hoped.

I felt Riker stir next me, eventually wrapping his arms around my waist. "Are you awake or am I just talking to myself?"

"I am very much awake, Riker Lynch." I responded, place a small kiss on his forehead.

"Mel, there was something important I wanted to talk to you about, but I have not had a chance to do that yet. It is not like Earth shattering important. It is more like I have been curious about it for a while, and now it is bugging me. It is kind of like when you have a beat stuck in your head, but you can't remember what song it was..." Riker began to babble on and on and on.

I covered his mouth. "Are you going to tell me or just keep running your mouth?"

"Well, I do not know the customs in the realms. Typically on Earth, when a man and a woman get married, it is a tradition that a woman takes the man's last name. You know it is just out of courtesy and respect for the man's family and lineage," Riker explained.

I pondered the idea for just a moment. "Your world is mainly a patriarchal society, correct?"

He nodded. "The United States of America has been predominantly run by men. All presidents and vice presidents of our country have been males. Women were not actually allowed to vote until 1920. Women and men did not attend college in proportional numbers until 1980. In most families, you have the man of the house. That is who everyone turns to if there is a break in or if someone tries to attack. Women will hide behind the man for protection."

"That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. No wonder the idea that the man's lineage is more important than the woman's has become a tradition.  A woman is just as strong and intelligent as any man. If society makes anyone feel inferior, all it will create is self doubt. Men and women should be treated as equals. A man should not be forced to protect a woman when in fact they both will be equally scared if they are in deed attacked. Just like a woman should not have to answer to a man and take his last name. There are many other ways to respect families, but I do not think that should be one of them." I declared.

Riker ran his fingers through his blonde hair. "You know I get where you are coming from, but it is just a way to show that the two people belong in the same family and are connected."

"So, you are saying you want people to see the name Lynch and know I am part of your family?"

"Correct." He responded.

"If you do not have my last name, then how are people going to know you belong in my family? Yeah, one of my sister is a little bit on the wild side, the other one completely changed into a psychopath in the time we have known you, my mother faked her own death because she wanted to live among demons, and my father is basically the devil, but I still think you should respect my ancestors. They fought heard to make Magius a force to be reckoned with. I think people ought to know that you belong to the Halliwell line." I ranted.