Chapter Twenty-Six:

It might’ve been easier said than done. Giving her my old backpack full of essential supplies, Maidence was ready to go except for the part about keeping her concealed. No one except for me and Rydel could know where she was going. We did not know who to trust, but for some strange reason I knew Maidence would not let me down. The three of us reached the south wall which was about as deserted as a party thrown by ogres and trolls.

    “I should be back a few hours before you leave tomorrow night. If I am not, I will find you with the keeper of the Curse. Don’t get yourself killed before then.” Maidence wrapped the two of us in a huge hug. “Be safe, Delly. I won’t let you down. Nothing is going to happen to you if I have any say in it.” Her attention went to me. “Make sure all of the patients are well cared for before you leave.” I knew that was code for make sure Peter is doing fine before you go hurt everyone else.

    I placed my hand on the brick wall and created a temporary hole allowing Maidence to escape. Quickly, she bolted away from the school. “Spirit, watch over her and make sure she returns safely.” I sent a bit of my power with her into the treacherous forest.

    “Let’s go to dinner,” Rydel locked arms with me. “So, are you really in love with my brother or were you just saying that to Maidence to keep her off your case?”

    “I am in love with Riker. I guess when you know you just know. Hopefully, he can put up with all of my queen duties and royal balls while we are together. I am sure I can be a supportive girlfriend with him on Earth too. I could be a queen four times a week and leave a royal advisor in charge while I am gone. I think it is time we left a portal to Earth open. Witches deserve the right to go where they please. What kind of queen dictates what her people do with their lives?” I  joked.

The hall was full of unexpecting faculty members and clueless students who had no idea what was about to go down tomorrow. Maura, Merilyn, Scarlett, Capri, Rocky, Ellington, and Ross were already at the table when Rydel and I arrived. We were barely acknowledged as we sat down with them. The seven of them were conversing amongst themselves about the latest spells and tricks they had just learned.

Rydel chirped in while Rocky was boasting about forging a wall as grand as the ones around the school in a matter of seconds. “Has anyone seen Riker? He should be here by now.”

“He was talking with Madame Blackwood earlier,” Ross responded. “He stopped by the room to change and drop something off.”

“Do you know what they were talking about?” I asked trying to play the concerned girlfriend card.

Ross shrugged. “No clue. He mentioned something about her helping guide the decisions he wanted to make. Who knows with Riker though. He could have asked her if he should stay in Magius or asked if he should buy Rydel a pet unicorn. He’ll be here soon, so do not be too worried about his safety.”

“Actually, I am here right now. Sorry it took so long. You know how Clara can get when you ask her one question.” Riker teased. He kissed me before taking a seat in between me and Maura.

Ellington looked around like he expected someone else to join us. “Speaking of people missing, has anyone seen Maidence? She always sits with us.”

“Maybe she became too cool to sit with us now,” Rocky joked. “Have the two of you seen her? You did come to dinner way later than the rest of us.” The question was directed at me and Rydel.

Riker turned his attention towards me. “You did go looking for her after we talked. Did you ever find her?” He took a bite of some bread that was sitting in a basket on the table.

I shook my head. “No, I have not seen her. I found Rydel, but her and Maidence ended their conversation long before I got there.”

“I could have sworn I saw the three of you together earlier. She was with a blonde and a brunette.” Leave it to Merilyn to try to blow our cover.