Chapter Twenty-Five:

As much as I was in the mood to get straight to the point, Madame Clara Blackwood was up to her usual games. The oracle knew everything I wanted to know before I even opened my mouth, but she was going to take her time getting to the point just because she knew she could. Pouring a cup of freshly brewed tea, Madame Blackwood sat down before me and Riker with a rejoicing smile. Whatever happened between talking to Rocky and getting back to Witch University, she definitely knew. Using spirit, I tried to take a peek into what was running into her head before I was thrust out.

"Melody Halliwell! How dare you try to snoop into my mind like that! I ought to smack you upside the head for that little stunt. I swear you are learning these awful habits from the five Earthlings." She turned to look at Riker. "No offense, but your kind isn't the most classy race I have ever seen. Then again, you have much bigger scandals here."

Riker cleared his throat. "Madame Blackwood, if I may, I would just like to say that you might think your scandals here are a big deal, but actually that is only because you have absurd laws that prohibit a real lifestyle. The only reason you think we are disgusting savages is because we do not have restrictions on us like you do here."

"Mr. Lynch, I would rather have regulations on what I can and can not do than end up like some of those people. However, I will say that the five of you are not actually that treacherous. Rydel seems to be quite the lady as well. She would be great as an advisor for Magius. I think your sister could definitely enlighten some of the realms. Anyway, what did you come here to learn? Don't lie and tell me you just wanted to chat either, Mr. Lynch. I knew your mother, and she always wanted to be the polite one like that. How is she doing by the way?" Clara asked. Was it just me or did everyone know about the Lynch family, except for us?

Riker smirked for a second. "Stormie is doing quite well for a mother who just learned the legacy she did not want her children to have was brought upon them, and now they're about to go into a battle to salvage humanity and magic."

"Young man, do not sass me or I will slap you upside the head along with your girlfriend. I do not even know why I bother being polite. Melody, you know about the derbedeu. As an oracle, it is my job to guide you along the path I have foreseen for you, but I am cautioned to do this only when necessary. Right now, I do not feel it is a necessity for you to find them. Melody, these are dangerous foes who will not hesitate to kill someone if deemed imperative. No one am I going to risk the safety of anyone less than forty-eight hours before a great battle." Her voice never faltered as she denied my plea for information. "After, however, I will tell you whatever you want to know if we meet again."

"Clara, I need to know who has the Curse. That is the only way I can guarantee what the outcome is. Please tell me," I begged.

Madame Blackwood rolled her eyes. "Child, to win a fight as grand as this, it is not all about who has the greatest power. Sometimes, you have to have the greatest desire and perseverance."

"If you are an Oracle, aren't you suppose to know who lives and dies?" Riker questioned.

She smiled at him again. In a strange way, the quirky Oracle reminded me a bit of Stormie Lynch. "If I knew all of the answers, I would be a god for gods' sake. If I acted like I knew all of the answers, I would be a part of the Council. The future is changing all the time. I simply know what will happen at this very moment, but anyone can choose to change their mind. Demons like to create a punishment that lives with their victim for a lifetime. Death is harsh, but imprisonment can be a lasting pain. Just remember that. Also, know who to trust. I can not stress this enough. Enjoy the life you have now because everything can change in one instant."

"Just when I thought I was getting her little riddles, she changes them. I don't understand how someone finds that much pleasure in all of this. You are one twisted lady, Madame Blackwood," Riker ran his fingers through his hair.