Chapter Twenty-Seven:

As the battle grew closer and closer, I could not help but imagine how I came to be so calm like I knew exactly what would happen. I still remembered the first time I ever went on a solo mission. The thrill and excitement only made me plead for more, but I knew my place in the realms was not to be an assassin; I was suppose to be a queen. How can you give up something that is so sacred and enchanting for a career you never asked to have.

    “Princess, I want you to be careful. If you do not watch it, demons will kill you because they know what your life would mean if you were kept alive. They are not like other witches, Melody. Demons will not spare your life because they feel sorry for you. Just know that whatever you do, be able to back it up with your powers. Take your bow with you and should you have any trouble just simply say my name, and I will be there to protect you at any cost.” Aegeus told me as he handed me everything I would need. With normal circumstances, it would have been my mother or father to send me off on this kind of trip, but my step father was off ruling the kingdom, and my mother was helping my real father plan my demise in the Underworld.

    I remember his words making me laugh. I was not concerned or scared to go down there by myself. “Aegus, you worry too much. I will be back before you can train a new recruit. You will always have me by your side. I was trained to be a strong-willed, independent lady, and I know how to take care of myself. Please, go find something to occupy your time while I am gone.”

    As much as I loved those times, they were gone. I could feel the clock ticking rampantly with every breath I took, but I did not know if that was my life slipping away from me or someone else whom I loved. The room around me felt like I was suffocating trying to do every last thing I could to stay alive, but nothing seemed to work. Everyone around me was terrified, but I could not do anything to help any of them.

    I felt a hand grip my shoulder. “Mel, are you okay? You kind of zoned out a little bit after your discussion with Maura. Did she say anything that bothered you? I can always go talk to her if there is a problem.” Riker murmured, trying to snap me out my illusion.

    I turned to face him. “Everything is perfectly fine. Don’t worry about me. I was just thinking what we are going to do to fill the time we have left.”

    Riker wrapped his arms around me waist. “I can think of a few things.” He kissed me neck and then made his way up to my lips. The burning connection between the two of us was again revealed in that moment. “Madame Blackwood told me about who you are. I wanted to know if we would ever be able to live in harmony with me being a musician from Earth and you being the future queen of Magius. I did not know if you would be able to accept who I am completely.”

    “Why would you even think that? Riker, I told you I love you for who you are. We might not be your ideal couple, but at least we know how to accept each other. Like Capri told me, do not ever think that I will not support you. Besides, why would I ever want to marry another wealthy witch who only cares about power and fame.” I assured him.

    “I knew, but I just could not live the rest of my life trying to persuade myself that I can give you everything you could possibly want in life. We are magical beings, Mel. Our children are going to be witches. You have a kingdom that is relying on you to change their realm here. I have fans on Earth who can not wait to see my next concert. I just couldn’t see a way that all of this could work. I could not see my girlfriend living her life without me.” Riker said.

    I could see where this speech was going, and I wasn’t ready. Riker was the only thing I was sure of and now he was saying things like this. “Listen to me, we will figure everything out. Do you hear me? I have dealt with much more complicated situations. You almost died in my arms, and all I could think of was life without you. I love you and if you give us time we will work.”

    “Melody, I have come to a verdict. It won’t work dating in other dimensions. Trust me, I want this to work, but like this it just won’t. I love you so much.” He pulled me close to him. We looked into the sky at the stars soaring above. From a distance, you could make out the outline of the Twelfth Realm. “Can you close your eyes for a second? Just picture a life for us.”

    My eyelids closed. I imagined us winning the battle tomorrow, and then going between the realms to see each other. I imagined a grand wedding on Earth, so all of his non-magical family members could see. I saw us having children and getting granted immortality so we could live together forever.

    “Do you have it in your head?” he whispered. I nodded. “Now, open your eyes.”

    I opened to find thousands of fire orbs circling around us. They weren’t trying to harm us, but were instead there to show off the beauty in the element. “Melody Halliwell, I love you more than words can explain, and I know how this might seem, but I feel like it is the right choice.” He got down on one knee. “Will you, future queen of Magius, do me the incredible honor of marrying me?”

    I jumped into his arms. “You really know how to scare a girl, don’t you? Of course, I will marry you.” He slipped a beautiful engagement ring on my finger. The ring itself looked like a lotus flower, one of the most useful plants in all of the realms.The band was your typical band in the back, but on the sides and the front it served as the leaves. In the middle was the central diamond surrounded by diamond petals. “How did you know these flowers are sacred to the realms?”

    Riker shrugged. “Well, I could lie and tell you that I did my research, but it was my grandmother’s. I guess it’s proof that my family really is magical.”

    “You still have doubts about that?” I giggled. “Riker, you have one of the strongest powers in all of the realms, and you still believe that you are a true descendant of magic.”

“Well, some of us did not get the luxury of learning magic their whole life. Mel, I don’t understand how you could be so against teaching students how to use their powers at Witch University. This whole mission would be so much easier if we were able to learn about magic before. You all have gifts that everyone in the world dreams about, but you only see it as a curse. What is so bad about magic anyway? To me, it just makes your life so much simpler. You feel empowered and safer. Why would anyone want to give that up?” Riker ranted.

I thought of all the times I loved being the person I was. I could see how humans would see this as a blessing. “You have had your powers for a few months. A lifetime of magic means secrets and lies and demons. Our lives are forever changed by this fact. At a young age, we are taught that any time we go on a mission we can die for a greater cause. We lie to each other to protect one another from a truth that can be fatal. I know how much you enjoy this life, but I would not wish this life on anyone else. I do not want to bring any children into a world where you never know what demon is going to burn you alive and tried for treason if anyone ever discovered what the Enchantress did.”

Riker wrapped his arm around me. “We will have the rest of our lives to decide what we want to do. Let’s go to sleep, so we are prepared for one last obstacle on our journey.”

“Riker Lynch, are you just trying to get me to go to bed with you?”

He laughed. “Wouldn’t be the first time. Come on let’s go, fiance.”