Chapter Sixteen:

The phrase “all hell breaks loose” that humans like to use is the perfect way to describe what happened in a few minutes. With seventeen of us cooped up in that one house, the best survival plan would have been to leave for better fighting ground, but with Rydel and Peter like they were that was obviously not an option. So, our only option was to stay here and fight like hell to survive. I searched the crowd for that dark, familiar aura, but he was not among his henchmen. Damien was probably to recovering from our small skirmish earlier to reappear now. Even though he wasn’t here, he would not have settled to send anyone less than the best. These demons were trained to kill powerful witches and would go back to hell before letting any of us capture them. The seven that accompanied our circle were guarding the outside of the house while we stayed inside.

  “Melody, can you go into the spirit world and tell Rydel to come back to our body?” Scarlett begged. She had almost been stabbed protecting the two soulless bodies lying on the ground.

  I turned around and shoved a dagger into a demon’s gut making him instantly disintegrate. “I wish I could, but I have no idea where she is. Once I was in the spirit world, I would have to track down her spirit and then tell her. It will take a lot of time. The best thing for me to do is stay here until she comes back.”

  “Well, we can’t stay here! They are swarming the entire house. Scarlett, you need to get both of them out of here now!” Maura yelled bringing down a huge lightning strike from the sky. “Take the crystals and teleport them to safety. We will find you when this is all over.” Scar nodded and grabbed one of Peter’s and Rydel’s hands. She vanished into thin air before any demons could see her escape plan.

  Merilyn grabbed Capri’s hand and used her shapeshifting abilities to change her into Rydel. That would buy us enough time to kill these sons of bitches. I tossed my youngest sister the dagger I had been using. With only a few mental abilities and forcefields, Merilyn was pretty much defenseless except for her fighting skills. “Mer, duck!” I threw a fireball at the demon coming at her from behind. It did not take long for her to return the favor. A un demon armă, demon highly skilled with weapons, went at Riker from behind. Quickly, Merilyn created a force field inside of it, making the creature from hell explode.

  “Anyone that is apart of the Elemental Circle needs to find one of the Power of Five members and stick with them. Do not try to be the superhero in the comics. You will die if you don’t watch it.” Capri instructed. The teams could pretty much been told by anyone. Rocky was with Maura. Ross joined Merilyn’s side. Ratliff was with Capri, and Riker was with me. “No matter what stay with that person. We are going to have split up to get out of here. Ratliff, they are going for us since I look like Rydel. What ever tricks you have been practicing only matter right now. This is life or death.”

  Before I knew it, everyone was gone, and we were the only ones left in the house. The escape created a nice diversion for a minute. Riker handed me a bow and quiver a demon dropped on the floor. “Don’t worry, Mel. I’ve got your back.”

  With that, we were out into the night sky. I glimpsed over and saw the moonlight shining down through a shard of broken glass. I thought back to my first encounter with Damien. He wanted me alive because he thought he could convince me to join the demonic realm. Now, he had no evidence to link me to that future. There was nothing stopping him from killing all of us right now. My alliance was the only thing giving us protection from a demonic riot, and it was gone. Maybe I should have told everyone the big secret. Then, just maybe I wouldn’t be risking Stormie and Mark’s promise.  Temporarily, my thoughts obscured my reflexed leaving my left side vulnerable. Riker quickly jumped into action, killing four demons with some massive fire power.

  “Where did you learn that?” I asked, completely surprised by how much he has learned in a few short weeks.

  He flipped his hair out of his eyes. Now that I actually started paying attention to his every move, it seemed more like a move that showed off his shyness than style. “I guess it is just in my blood to be a great witch. Plus, I didn’t want anything to happen to you while you were pondering your life. I have seen my life flash before my eyes and didn’t want it to happen to you as well. When we get out of here, I want to really get to know each other. Everything has been so serious, and it isn’t how I usually am so will you give me that chance?” We stopped briefly to survey the area. Most of the crowd was up ahead with the exception of a few who were still lagging behind.