Chapter Fourteen:

The power surge left me temporarily weak for the remainder of the night. I might not have been a necromancer, but what I did tonight definitely challenged the order of life and death. In all history books and diaries, I have never read about a witch bringing a soul back to its own body. Even summoning the dead for a necromancer is only temporary. Plus, the bodies they bring to life are essentially souless and could be considered the human equivalent to a zombie. But with every discovery of a new tool to our belt only comes with a price. The continued use of this asset could make problems arise with the Lord de Ordinul, Lord of Order. Basically, he makes sure everything in the realms goes as it should like the line between life and death.

  Riker, who had been sleeping during our hideout, finally awoke. “Do we have a plan on what we are suppose to do next?” Merilyn and Hunter took over the only bedroom in the safe house, so me, Peter, and Riker all stayed in the living area which made it difficult for anyone, except someone who had a near-death experience, to sleep.

  Peter with his power of telepathy had been keeping me informed the six hours we were in here. “After we came here and you fell asleep, I used a piece of glass to establish a mode of communication with the teachers. It’s just one of the perks of having the power of catoptromancy. The fear I had of them losing a connection with us is true. A demon, very powerful one at that, wanted to make sure they could not help us while we are in here. So, while the others think we are all still fighting, we are actually dealing with a much greater force. Even if we drink the potion, we will not return. Merilyn and hunter are trying to come up with a plan to find everyone.”

  “Obviously, we are going to have to split up. If we stick together, it will take too much time and the demon could kill someone. Why are we just sitting around here for hours?” Riker tried to sit up, but was still sore from the attack. Even my healing could not help that. The only indication of what happened was the scar creeping up his side. I guess reviving someone leaves a scar physically and most likely mentally. I couldn’t imagine his soul came back completely whole after everything.

  “Take it easy. There is no need to rush. No one here would even think about killing one of us.” I tried to reassure him, but I knew what it was like to worry about your family whenever you had no idea what was going on with them.

  Peter shook his head. “I would not be so sure of that, Princess. Some intentions of the people around you are very skeptical.” he murmured but did not bother to elaborate. At any other time, the comment would have irked me. Now I was not worried about it. “In other news, I would like to know how long you and Hunter have been partners. I thought the first time you met was at our training session.”

  I rolled my eyes. “We met at that party on Saturday. He is just a great guy to be around and talk to. You know he feels guilty about whatever happened with Maidence.” If we managed to get out of here alive, maybe Peter could put in a good word for Hunter with his best friend.

  Peter did not shift his watchful glance towards me. “Maidence has had a lot of grief in her life. She does not want to add another person to it that could make her situation far worse than it already is. Maidence is a very stubborn and strong willed girl. Even I can not convince her to change her mind, and I have been friends with her since we first attended Witch University. Everyone says you want to make sure whenever you are queen you will make a huge impact on Magius. By changing the laws that state, ‘Unless the family comes forward, no student at Witch University will be allowed to know learn the identity of any members of their household. It is with this law that we protect the abandoned children and deceased heroes.’ Seriously, that law just creates a bunch of crap for all of us.”

  “I always thought there was something off about that law. If you ever meet the Council of Magic, you will know their is way more to their thoughts and ideas than what meets the eyes. So, Maidence was never claimed by a family. It is hard to believe with how powerful and friendly she is.” I replied now looking at a very curious Riker. He had tuned out our conversation a long time ago. He laid on the couch next me playing with the fire in the fireplace. To keep our location a secret, we had purposefully created several fires all around us to mask our true hiding place.