Chapter 3: Heart to Heart

The other prisoners didn't have wounds to attend to, and Finny helped them all calm down and reorient as Phoenix focused on the girl who felt so familiar. 

"Abigail," Phoenix said with a smile, reaching a hand out to clasp her forearm. "I'm Phoenix." 

Abigail returned the action, pushing herself into a sitting position and hissing through her teeth. "Ow, that hurt - how'd you do that?" She inspected her side, still red and scarred, the skin knitting itself back together as they watched.

"Healing tears," Noelle and Roman said together.

"She always could cry on command," Maverick added, nudging Phoenix in the shoulder and winking. 

"We really should get going," Roman said, both he and Youlden scanning their surroundings. "Those soldiers could be on us, and even if not, we know Lee and the Army are on our tail. It's not safe to linger."

With a sharp intake of breath, Abigail glanced up at Roman. "Commander Lee is nearby?"

"He was behind us - or in front of us - in the pass," Noelle said, her face screwing up in concentration. "I'm not really sure where they went. They didn't pass by the Army base?"

"No," Abigail's glower darkened. "If Commander Lee's Unit had been at the base, there wouldn't have been an execution."

Phoenix frowned down at Abigail, trying to sort through the anger flowing from the other woman. She turned and spoke to Roman. "I want to see Eric again. I need to explain to him who he is."

"And I understand that," Roman said, tearing his attention away from the horizon. "But he's currently with his entire unit of soldiers who won't hesitate to attack."

"He needs my help," Phoenix countered.

Maverick sighed beside her. "He's right though, Laina. Now's not the time to face off with Eric again. Not with his soldiers around. We'll find a way back to him."

Abigail's head snapped up, face scrunching as waves of shock, excitement, and concern pulsed from her. "Laina? I thought you said your name is Phoenix."

"It is," Phoenix said with a frown, confused by Abigail's reaction. "It's both. I'm Phoenix Knight, formerly Laina Knight."

Abigail continued to stare at her, her gaze eventually sliding over to where Maverick stood beside her. "You're Maverick Knight?"

It was Mav's turn to arch his brows in surprise. "I am. How do you--"

With a grunt of pain, Abigail pushed up to her feet, unsteady and wobbling. "I need to go. Get away from you."

"You're in no condition to go off by yourself." It was Youlden who stepped up, lightly catching Abigail's arm and steadying her as she swayed. "You're staying with us."  

"I can't. I--" Abigail stopped, staring at Youlden's gloved hands for a moment before continuing. "I can't be with you. If he sense me, he'll find you."

"Senses you?" Phoenix stepped up to block Abigail from stepping away from Youlden. "Why would he sense you? Your signature doesn't feel like anything extraordinary."

"You're Laina Knight," Abigail said, staring Phoenix straight in the eye. "I know what you mean to him - what both of you mean to him." She cut a glance to Maverick. "I know more than you could possibly imagine."

"We'll keep you safe from him, if that's what you need," Roman said as he gestured around at the group. "We're going to get all of you to safety."

"Eric's no danger to me," Abigail whispered, pulling her arm away from Youlden.