Chapter 33: Tick Tock

Abigail stilled, and Eric leaned away from her, his nerves frayed by her pain. With almost all of her skin covered and his hands gloved, there wasn't a connection between them when he wasn't kissing her. 

He ached to sense what she was feeling and thinking, unable to read her expression as she closed in on herself. 

"I should go," she said, stepping away from him. "I need to get home."

"Please, stay with me." He placed a hand on her arm, hoping she'd turn to face him. She didn't.

"I can't. I need to get back to Reed. He'll wonder where I've gone."

"Reed?" The name felt like a punch to the gut, and Eric sucked in a breath. "Who in the hells is Reed?"

She turned to look at him, lifting her chin defiantly. "The most important man in my life." 

Eric closed his eyes, not sensing a lie in her words. He struggled to find words - any - that wouldn't come out in rash anger. "Do you love him?"

"More than my own life."

Nodding, Eric looked away, finding it difficult to swallow. "I suppose you should go then." 

Abigail let out a derisive snort that surprised him. When he looked at her, her eyes shone with new tears. 

"You don't even care, do you? You profess to love me, but you give up without any effort. I hope you and Aundreya are very happy, Ares." 

She was out the door before he could react. His heart hammered in his chest as he forced himself to follow her back into the ballroom.

How'd she know that name?

"There you are!" Aundreya appeared at his side, her mouth tipped into a smirk. "I thought you'd run away from me."

"I've been looking for you," Eric replied, smooth as silk even as the lie twisted in his gut. "I thought I saw you sneak off with one of your many admirers."

A blush crept into Aundreya's cheeks, but she smiled winningly at him. "The only man I admire is you. You know that. I love you, and you love me."

"Yes, that's true. Isn't it?" He gritted his teeth against both their lies, scanning the crowd for Abigail. 

She was gone.

#

Noelle hauled a chair from Maverick's sitting room into the bedroom, sweaty with the effort by the time she situated it by the bed. Pushing damp hair away from her face, she settled down, unsure of what to do.

Maverick and Gwen slept on, neither of them making a sound anymore. The night had grown late, far past midnight, and Noelle's eyes drooped against her will. She fell asleep curled up in the chair.

When she woke, her mouth felt dry, like cotton, and her eyes felt grainy. She forced her lids open, thinking she ought to see what time it was or where Finny had gone, and let out a little shriek.

Maverick's eyes were wide open, staring back at her.

Scrambling up to her feet, Noelle  placed her hand on Maverick's chest just above his heart. Feeling the beat, she relaxed, even as his eyes continued to stare into nothing.

"It's been like this for a few hours," a voice said behind her. Noelle jumped, whirling around.

The banshee woman who had attacked them, Canya, leaned against the doorway. Noelle  turned her back on Maverick and Gwen, not taking her eyes of the woman with the wild blonde hair and crazy grey eyes.