Chapter 29: Lily Lover

Noelle wandered through the halls of the castle, trying to calm the thrumming beating of her heart.

It meant nothing. He meant nothing. The arrival of Gwen had nearly driven her to tears. A tall, strong, beautiful woman - who could cook! She could never compete.

Not that I want to compete...

"Land-ho!" A hand bopped her on the forehead, bringing her out of her daze. Roman stood in front of her, his mouth stretched in a broad grin. "You know I've been trying to get your attention for a solid minute?"

"I'm sorry," she mumbled, shaking her head to clear it. "I was distracted."

"Lily for your thoughts?" Roman held up a flower, handing it to her.

"T-thank you."

"No need. I found it over there." Roman pointed down the hall. "Picked it up as I was walking toward you." He winked. "I'm not that gentlemanly - nor that fond of you."

"Ha, ha," Noelle said, finally cracking a genuine smile. "There's the Roman I know and don't love that much."

He chuckled and elbowed her in the arm. "You're deep in thought - what troubles my fair little sister?" He batted his lashes at her.

"Nothing important."

"Ah." Roman nodded, clasping his hands in front of him and glancing down at her with sage understanding. "Maverick."

"What?" Noelle stopped dead in her tracks, mouth popping open. "How did - was not!"

Roman tipped his head back, letting out a long, loud laugh. "Oh please. Everyone knows."

"Knows what?" Noelle asked, glaring up at him.

"You two don't look at each other, barely talk to each other, and when you're forced to do so, it's painful to watch." Roman rolled his eyes. "The tension is so thick I'd slam into it if I tried to walk between you."

"And I suppose you're a wonder with women," Noelle shot back, quirking one brow.

"Nope." Roman bounced on his heels. "I'm afraid I grow too fond, too fast. I ruined things with Phoenix early on, and while there are many pretty young women around here, I'm afraid I'm a bit shy."

With a snort, Noelle laughed. "You, shy?"

"Blame it on my lonely upbringing," Roman said with a shrug.

They walked in silence for a few moments, Noelle fighting an internal battle. Her heartbeat sped up again, and her stomach twisted. "Roman?"

"Mm?"

"Will you - will you tell me what happened to your mother?"

Roman turned to her with a shocked expression. "Really?"

"Yes. Please."

He nodded. "Um, well. It's been quite a few years now. But you know that saying of 'time heals everything' or whatever?" Noelle nodded. "It isn't true. You're never healed."

With a sigh, Roman leaned against the wall, staring up at the overarching ceiling. For a long moment, he didn't say anything.

"My mother only died because of me."

"What? How?"

"During one of the Army's inspections of our city, I got into a fight with an Army officer. Eric was there - still just one of the simple soldiers." Roman snorted. "He didn't intervene for me. My mother stood to my defense, claiming I only said the things I did because she had taught them to me."