Chapter 42: Travel Time

"There's something we need to discuss with you," Eric said, glancing back at Phoenix. His stomach flipped at the thought of speaking so boldly with the man he'd brought up to see with reverence. 

His world still didn't seem settled. Everything felt right, but nothing felt sane. Every time he looked at Phoenix, the word sister floated through his brain, giving him a strange, giddy feeling. He still hadn't processed meeting Selene and Elyo.

My parents.

"It must be urgent, to be out so late." Bainon gestured for them to sit, shuffling his thank you cards and setting them off to the side. "Don't tell me you're breaking your engagement to Aundreya for this exotic young creature?" Bainon's brow furrowed, but then he shrugged it off. "Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think I like her anyway."

"No," Eric said, a little too loudly. "Well, I mean yes, I will be breaking my engagement to Aundreya but this..." he hesitated, smiling at Phoenix. "This is actually my sister by blood. Her parents are the same as mine."

Bainon's eyes widened and he examined Phoenix with new interest. "My, my. Two of you? I didn't - most Ancients are only ever heard of having one. Who's older?"

"I am, by two years," Eric said, holding up his hands palm down as Phoenix did the same to show their matching markings. 

"Well I'll be damned." Bainon shook his head. "I suppose with another one of you, there's no way to pretend you're my heir for much longer."

"That's why we're here." Phoenix shot a cautious look at Eric, nodding to him.

"Clarice's son is alive," Eric said. "He didn't die when the attack was ordered on his family. I made sure of it." Bainon didn't speak, his eyes growing round. "His name is Maverick, and he's the rightful heir to the throne."

"He's a good man, Your Majesty," Phoenix said, her gaze pleading. "If you would only meet with him - talk with him - I'm sure he'd be willing to learn from you, to learn what it would take to be king when you've passed on or are ready to step down."

Bainon's face darkened. "Would this be the same heir we hear tell of leading the Militia? The one hells bent on murdering me and seizing my crown?"

"He's not leading it, and he'd be the first to want a peaceful agreement between the Militia and the Army, I know he would."

Leaning back in his chair, Bainon steepled his fingers. "Go on."

#

"Mygel and Yoro, working together?" Maverick stared at Noelle, not wanting to believe her. "Why? Why would they want to harm us?"

"They want a new family on the throne." It was Pollemius who answered, his expression grave. "I've heard rumblings, the faintest whispers, but I never thought anyone would do anything about it. It's absurd - especially for a Guardian. It's treason to our kind." 

"Not unexpected, though." Finny set the list down, shaking her head. "Guardians and Ancients have been drawn to darkness since time began. It was a fallen Ancient who cut down Tremaine and Helix, breaking the Ancient Circle by lessening our numbers.  Guardians have turned on their fellows before in war, sometimes because they think they're doing what's best. Look at us here, Guardians and Ancients on both sides."

"This is different," Pollemius countered. "This isn't two sides of one royal coin. They want to play with new pieces all together." 

"Then can the Militia be trusted?" 

Maverick cut his gaze to Youlden, who'd spoken while still staring out the window. "What do you mean?"

"Two prominent members are out to kill you, with a third among them we don't know yet. Who's to say it isn't Helena? Or one of the Generals? Or Canya, escaped from her cell much as she did when she snuck in on Noelle?"