Chapter 30: The Banquet

With a little cry, Phoenix fell sideways to the ground. Abigail dropped down to her knees, panic in her eyes.

"What's happening? What is it?"

"I don't know - I just feel something is wrong. But the pain - erg." She doubled over, grunting as it hit her in another wave. "I have to find out what's happened." She looked around wildly, but the hall remained empty. "Castor - Finny. Please, someone! Altair?"

A beam of light appeared in the hallway, and a figure dropped down to Phoenix's side. She felt strong arms grip her, lifting her up into his arms.

"Phoenix? What is it? What did he do to you?" Altair's voice boomed, reverberating inside her. She clutched his tunic, resting her head against his shoulder, thankful he'd come despite her earlier attitude.

"Maverick - is something wrong with Maverick?"

She sensed his bewilderment. "He's going to be fine - what's happened to you?"

Phoenix gritted her teeth as the pain pulsed again. It wasn't as bad as before, but she wasn't sure she could stand on her own.

"I - I felt pain. Horrible pain. And my thoughts were filled with Maverick. What happened to him?"

"From what I heard he was poisoned days ago - Finny went straight to him, and the others were there to help. He's going to be fine. Youlden managed to purge the poison from him."

"I don't understand. If he's fine now, why am I feeling his pain?"

Altair made a strange noise in the back of his throat. "That isn't how it works. You don't feel his pain."

"But I'm his Guardian."

Altair gently lifted her to her feet, still supporting her. "As a Guardian, you might sense his need for you, but you aren't connected to him like that. And if you were, you would have felt pain over an hour ago when this happened. I'm not sure why you just sensed his need now, but the pain is your own, not his. What were you doing when it happened?"

"Kissing Samson."

Altair tensed. "You what?" His anger flared. "What did he do to you? How'd he do it? What games is he playing?"

"Games? There aren't - he's not playing games." Phoenix blinked up at him, wishing she could see beyond the light.

"When Castor hears about this, he'll be unbearable." Altair seemed to have forgotten about her for a moment, lost in his own thoughts. "If he finds out Samson caused you pain...no. He can't know." He returned his attention to her. "Don't tell Castor what happened between you and Samson."

"Why not?"

Altair hesitated. "You won't like the outcome. Keep your distance from Samson. If he's hurting you -"

"He wouldn't hurt me." Phoenix's thoughts flashed back to the dagger against her throat. "Not - not on purpose."

"Even if it wasn't intentional, he's hurt you. Stay away from him."

"Phoenix," Abigail stepped forward, glancing fearfully up at Altair. "We-we should go. We can say you're sick. They won't make you go in if you're sick. Narissa can't hold it against you."

"I'm feeling better." Phoenix pushed away from Altair to stand on her own. "Besides, Castor said to be seen."

Altair made a hmphing noise. "I doubt this is what he meant. He would never put you in danger unnecessarily. He's brash, and a bit impulsive, but unless it was a choice between your life and Eric's, he'd never put you in harm's way."