Chapter 28: A Burning Kiss

Two hours after returning, there was a knock at the Truso's front door. When one of the maids opened it, a herald from the palace stepped inside, a manservant toting a large box behind him.

"A gown for the savior of the king and queen," the man said, stretching an arm out toward the box. "The color was chosen to denote your deed. Her majesty requests that, upon arrival, you greet her at her table - she'll be waiting."

With a flourish, the manservant dropped the box into the maid's arms while the herald turned on his heel and marched out the door. Phoenix stood wide-eyed off to the side until Abigail poked her.

"Open it."

"I'm afraid to." Phoenix moved to the round little table in the entry hall where the maid had placed the box, plucking up the vase that sat there and moving it away. "What does that mean - color to match the deed?"

"Does it matter? Ooooopen it." Abigail bounced on her heels, her hands clasped before her. "I love seeing a new dress. Ballgowns are my favorite. I wonder if it's in this year's fashion? And how'd they know your measurements? Did you give them those?"

"I guessed at them, yes. I think I might have grown an inch or two in the last year, so I wasn't sure on my height." Phoenix let out a breath and tugged at the tie holding the box closed. "Here we go."

She pulled the box lid up and away, handing it to the maid still standing nearby.  She let out a cluck of surprise at the sight of the fabric inside.

Billowing layers of white silk and chiffon puffed up and out of the box. Phoenix pulled it free, marveling at it. "I've never seen anything likes this."

"It's beautiful," Abigail breathed, standing beside her. "I love the accents."

Phoenix nodded in agreement. Blue accents were embroidered around the bodice, which moved into a V shape at the waist before flowing out in a wide skirt Phoenix was sure she could hide half the house under. The top of the bodice continued its blue lacework, creating a heart shaped bosom with a cinched waist. 

Now that she looked closely, Phoenix saw the underskirts were also blue, creating a faded affect that almost made it look as though the dress dipped into water. The high lace neck and long sleeves would cover her markings well enough to ease her worries about being recognized as a Guardian. 

"This is beautiful," Abigail crooned. "I think we'll look lovely side by side. Mine's in a similar fashion, only it's a deep violet. Come - we must ready at once. We only have a few hours to prepare."

"You shouldn't go."

The voice stopped them both halfway up the steps. Phoenix turned to see a figure with a face covered in light. For a moment, she thought Castor had returned, but the different voice gave her the answer.

"Altair?" She frowned at Abigail. "Why shouldn't I go?" 

"It's not safe."

Phoenix rolled her eyes. "If that's all you have for me, I'll take my chances."

"There are things in the works that you'll only get in the way of."

"Things." Phoenix flipped her hair back over her shoulder. "If you're going to be cryptic, I don't have time for you. Besides, Castor said to be seen."

Altair shook his head. "This isn't what Castor meant." 

"How would you know?" She waited for an answer, and when he didn't give one, she snorted. "Right. Well unless you feel like being clear with me, I'll see you another time. Buh bye." 

With that she turned and hurried Abigail up the steps to get ready.

While Abigail's maids - happy to have their mistress returned - helped the two girls with their hair, Phoenix learned about cosmetics and how to accent her already drastic features.