Chapter 31: The Knights and The Dancers

Phoenix stared at Arabella, her mouth hanging open. The older lady arched a brow.

"Is there something wrong, dear?"

"N-no. I just...I just didn't realize there were any Knights left in Osha."

Arabella let out a tinkling little laugh. "Well of course there are. This is where most of us are from."

"There are more of you?"

Arabella put a hand to her heart as though taken aback. "Just how far north are you from, dear girl? The Knights are one of the most prominent families in all of Braskey."

Phoenix shook her head, trying to reorient herself as a servant placed a plate of food before her. "Yes, I know, but after Norman Knight left I suppose I assumed all of the Knights did."

"Norman? Oh you mean George." Arabella nodded. "I suppose he didn't feel he had much of a choice, what with Tarvril on the rampage and his worry over his wife." She plucked up her fork and knife, daintily cutting away at her portion of pheasant. "Just because they were on the outs doesn't mean we all were."

Phoenix frowned. "Why would only he be on the outs?"

"Because of Clarice, of course. With Tarvril all a dither about not conceiving an heir, it wasn't safe for her here." 

"Tarvril not having an heir was dangerous for Claire - I mean Clarice? Why?" 

Arabella leaned in conspiratorially lowering her voice, and Phoenix moved closer as well. "Little Tyrella Tremaine was a bit of a waif - skinny little thing. It was harder for her to conceive. Though, if we believe the rumors, not impossible."

"I have heard she might have had a son." 

"Indeed. Which is possible. But with a husband like Tarvril, the poor girl was always under stress. Can you imagine having a husband after you day in and day out about not giving him his heir? Last time I saw her, the poor thing's hair was falling out. Not to mention Tarvril's mistress - old what's her name - didn't seem capable of bearing children either."

Phoenix clamped her mouth shut to keep from blurting Helena's name. Arabella didn't seem to notice, glancing askance down the table at Bainon and Narissa to make sure no one was listening.

"With two women a mess of desperation, but apparently incapable of producing a child, Tarvril turned to Clarice, demanding she produce an heir for him."

"She wanted Norma and Claire to give up their child as his?" Phoenix asked, eyes widening.

Arabella's face darkened. "Not their child. His child."

At the tone of her voice and the disgusted twist of her lips, Phoenix understood what Arabella was saying. She fought the urge to gag. 

"He'd do that to his own sister?"

"The man was mad. Of course, neither Tyrella nor his mistress knew what he was up to. George told me in confidence, and I told him he needed to take his wife and leave." Arabella shuddered. "Twisted man." 

Phoenix's stomach churned and she lost any hope of having an appetite for dinner. "But Tyrella might have had a child."

"Indeed. Though his madness continued, Tyrella seemed stronger in her last few weeks with him. Calmer."

"Why?"

Arabella glanced down the table once more. "I think it was because she knew Bainon and Narissa were going to intervene.  Clarice and George were already gone, and with so many Guardians dead at Tarvril's own hand, no one stood in their way. In those last days, Tyrella knew freedom was on the horizon. She may have conceived just due to her own relief."