Chapter 50: To the Battlefield

Abigail's dead. It rang in Eric's head and heart, no matter how he tried to deny it. Somewhere, deep inside him, he knew. He'd felt it in that scream - felt her. Like a ghost passing through, her spirit calling out one last time. 

Gone. Gone. Gone. Gone. He sliced with precision, something inside him feeling frozen, dead. He killed without conscience, cutting men and women down. What did any of it matter? What did people matter? Something inside him no longer cared who lived and who died.

#

Phoenix knew. She couldn't discern how or why, but she knew. Whatever that scream had been, it meant Abigail was dead.

Dead.

By the sound of Eric's cry, he knew, too. 

Phoenix fled the castle, having lost Trey as he dodged through bodies in the main foyer, Phoenix forced to fight her way out. As she stepped out, she paused. Snow flurried in wild abandon on the castle grounds, reminding Phoenix of the blizzard.

"Trey!" She peered through the snow. "Trey, please!" She knew she had to find him - to protect him, for Abigail's sake as much as Trey's. 

#

Maverick and Gwen ran through the castle at top speed. 

"Where do we go?" Gwen squeaked, staring around. "Which way?"

Hesitating, Maverick stared around, his thoughts fixed on Noelle, helpless and left with Aundreya.

Forgive me. I will come for you. 

"She'll be fighting. We need to get wherever the fighting is the heaviest."

Noelle. Noelle. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.

#

Aundreya reluctantly left Noelle in the care of a Militia soldier under strict orders to not harm her - that would come later.

"Why do you even want Eric?" she asked, following Helena through the halls. "He's not even an actual heir. He's a falsehood Narissa created." She kicked at a fallen piece of ruble, still annoyed for falling for the lie. 

Helena paused, turning to her. "This is true?" Aundreya nodded. "I had heard...but I didn't believe. No matter. He is on the side of the Army, raised by Narissa - the woman I just killed. He won't stand under the Militia's rule." 

"But you are going to make Maverick king, right?" Aundreya's had to take two steps to every one of Helena's. The woman was on a mission. "I mean, that's the only reason I helped you."

"What do you mean?"

"I. Want. Maverick. Knight," Aundreya said through clenched teeth. "It's all I've ever wanted. Now make me his queen and - "

"We have to find him first, you stupid girl. Find him and kill Bainon. The order doesn't matter, but as long as Bainon lives, Maverick can't take the throne. And," Helena rounded on Aundreya, her face fierce, animalistic, "if Maverick resists my commands on how he should rule, he will die. I won't have another king going against my wishes."

"You mean like Tarvril?" Aundreya hated that her voice squeaked, showing fear.

"No. I mean like Bainon. Tarvril - " Helena hesitated. "Tarvril only made one mistake, but it cost him his life." 

Helena marched off again, and Aundreya let her get a few steps ahead, considering the older woman. Powerful, strong, used to being in control...

Helena had no idea what she was in for.