Chapter 8: Fighting in a Blizzard

Phoenix peered through the snow, trying to see past the blizzarding flurry to no avail. Crouching down, she tapped Trey's hands so he'd release his grip around her neck.

"I can't fight with you up there - don't want you to get hurt," she said. Standing again, she addressed the others. "Victor, Frieda, Chuck, and Abigail - stay behind us."

Victor stepped forward, snow caking his bushy black mustache. "I can fight," he said, slamming his fist into his palm.

"Not without a weapon, you can't," Phoenix replied. "Keep them safe - that's what I need you to do." 

"Roman, Youlden, Noelle - draw together," Maverick ordered. "Finny? Where's Finny?"

"Here!" Her voice echoed from somewhere to the left, impossible to see through the white wall around them. "Keep quiet - they'll hear you. Group together - I can't tell where they're coming from."

Maverick shepherded the weaponless into the center with Phoenix, himself, Youlden, Roman and Noelle - still half frozen - encircling them and facing out.

"I thought it would be dangerous once we joined the Militia," Roman whispered at Phoenix's left. "Not before we ever reached them."

"If we ever reach them," Maverick said from Phoenix's right. "Laina, you have any plans?"

"Don't die?" she suggested with a harsh laugh. "I'm not sure I can do anything in this snow. It'll be too easy to squash a fire."

"I'm more concerned about whatever it was that is screaming." Abigail, who stood directly behind Phoenix with Trey, shifted her weight, and Phoenix sensed her pushing Trey further into the center of protection. 

"Maybe its-" someone began.

"Wait," Phoenix hissed, the sound of running footsteps - a single pair - caught her ears. She clutched her sword, bringing it up and ready for an attack.

"Put that down, you fool. It's me." Finny didn't become visible until she was only a foot away, her eyes blazing as she reached them. "There are at least a dozen, maybe more. Hard to tell in the snow."

"What creature do they have with them?" Youlden asked. He was simply a hulking outline behind Phoenix, his back to her as he guarded more than his fair share of the circle.

"Sounds like a banshee," Finny said, pulling several throwing knives from the inside of her cloak. 

"Banshees are real?" Frieda's voice almost hit a shrieking pitch of its own as she asked her question. Finny snorted.

"Of course they're real. I don't know if that's what this is, though. Banshees like warm weather - usually southern Fangralee, across the Kylerian boarder. This could just be someone with a shrieking gift." 

As if in reply, the scream rent the air again. Roman, Noelle, and even Maverick dropped their weapons as their hands flew to their ears. Only sure willpower kept Phoenix's fingers wrapped around her blade, her ears feeling like they might bleed from the pain. 

"Pick those up!" Finny snapped. "They're counting on--"

An arrow shot through the air, hitting Finny in the back. With an 'oof,' she fell forward into Phoenix. Maverick cried out, retrieving his blade and moving to stand in front of his sister and the Ancient. Phoenix gathered Finny into her arms, but the old woman pushed back.

"Don't worry about me - fight!"

Phoenix released her, allowing Finny to slip behind her. She wasted no time in demanding things of Abigail, but Phoenix didn't have time to listen.