Chapter 23: Getting Out of Here

"You can't leave now," Noelle said, eyes wide. "You don't have any supplies, and we haven't figured out if this place has horses or not yet."

"We'll get supplies - Youlden," Phoenix turned to the giant standing in the doorway. "Find the nearest servant - or whatever you call them here - and ask them to go fetch a baker named Gwen; she's in her mid to late twenties with reddish brown hair - I don't remember her last name. Have them tell her to come up here at once." 

Youlden obeyed as the others stared at her in question.

"She's someone I met earlier - she'll help. As for the horses," Phoenix sighed. "Roman, go find Finny. She'll be able to answer any questions she have, and she's less likely to stop me." 

Within moments Roman returned with Finny, who looked cranky having been dragged from her bed. Despite her younger appearances these days, Phoenix could still see the crotchety old woman glaring out from her fourtiesh eyes.

"Ponytail says you're leaving," Finny said, eyeing Phoenix and then the unconscious man on the floor.

"Trey's not safe here. Helena told us she'd be able to keep him from being harmed, but this man proved that false tonight."

Finny assessed Trey with a shrewd gaze. "So they found you out, eh? Too bad." 

Phoenix stopped bustling around the room, a bundle of Abigail and Trey's things in her arms. "You knew?"

"Of course I knew - he controlled the weather, after all. That's not a gift given to a mere mortal."

The others' mouths dropped open. "That was him?" Noelle said, staring at Trey with awe. "He made the blizzard stop?"

"He made the blizzard start," Finny amended. 

"How could you not have told us?" Phoenix asked.

Finny rolled her eyes. "I'm an Ancient, young lady. I'm not required to tell you anything. In fact, most the time it's considered bad taste to tell you anything at all. We're here for advice when you ask for it - not to just tell you everything willy nilly. I'm a Watcher, not a Guider."

"That makes zero sense," Maverick said, frowning at her. "If you know something and it's going to make it easier on us -"

"Easier doesn't mean right. Sometimes you have to do things the hard way to learn. You wouldn't be who you are today if someone always told you which move to make. Besides, I'm not infallible. I'm not Adonai. I just have a bit more insight than you do."

Youlden entered the room, a smile forming at the sight of Finny. "Good evening, Miss-"

"No time," Finny said, waving his greeting away. "I want to go back to sleep." She eyed Gwen, who entered behind Youlden, with interest. "And this isn't a member of the guard, so obviously you're not planning on reporting this just yet."

"Not until we're long gone," Phoenix said. "I don't want anyone to stop us." She turned to Gwen. "Thank you for coming - I need your help."

"Anything." Gwen nodded, her eyes eager even as her face was drawn with fatigue.

"We have to leave sooner - much sooner - than I thought. I'd still love to take a letter for you, if I can, but also I was hoping you could help us get some supplies for the road. There will be three of us." She gestured to Abigail and Trey. "We have to make it all the way to Osha."

Finny snorted. "Oh, 'all the way' do you? It's a few days' ride maximum."

"So they do have horses?" Noelle asked.

"Of course they do. Not in here, obviously - couldn't get them through that crack in the mountain. They're on the outside, hidden away. I'll show you to them when you're ready."