Chapter 24: The Curse of Immortality

They rode through the night and most of the next day until Phoenix insisted they stop. The other two, especially Trey, were looking dead on their horses from fatigue. According to Abigail, they could reach Osha by the next evening if they rode hard after a few hours of sleep. 

They pulled off the main road for a rest, Phoenix missing the trees of Fangralee or the caverns of the Pass to help keep them hidden. She felt exposed on the open plains, with nothing but their bedrolls and her keen eyes to keep them safe. The grass, a budding green in the early onslaught of spring, barely reached her ankles.

"You need to sleep, too," Abigail said, putting together some of the victuals Gwen had brought them from the kitchens. 

Phoenix suppressed a yawn, shaking her head. "One of us needs to keep an eye out and I need less sleep than either of you." She poked Trey, who had already nodded off once since they stopped. "Hey - stay awake long enough to eat." 

"I'm so tired," he said in a murmur, accepting the food Abigail handed him. He sat in between Phoenix and Abigail, protected on either side.

"I'm sure you are, but a growing boy needs food just as much as sleep." Abigail's soft smile drew a similar expression from Trey as he bit into a bit of bread. 

"This food is amazing," Abigail said as she, too, partook. "Better than anything I've ever had - even in Osha at the palace feasts. And this is after being packed in a bag all day."

Phoenix tested her own meal. Abigail had taken slices of bread and put cheese and some cold turkey on it. Not in the least bit fancy. Yet as Phoenix bit into the sandwich, every sense seemed to dance with bursts of flavor and delight. 

"There's no sauce," Abigail continued, eyeing her portion. "But it's as though I taste cranberries and gravy - and the bread is so buttery."

Phoenix swallowed, savoring the moment. "I think Gwen's gift might be culinary. There's no reason for this to be as good as it is."

"More please," Trey said, his mouth full and his hands empty. Abigail laughed and pulled out a few more supplies. 

"I'm going to be disappointed to be home with normal food." Her smile faltered, and Phoenix winced automatically at the lie. "I'm not endangering them, am I?"

"We may need to keep you hidden," Phoenix said as Trey finished yet another sandwich. "The last thing we need is for them to try and execute you again."

"I don't want to do that again." Trey's eyes grew wide, his whole body tensing. Phoenix felt a cold fill the air. "I don't want--"

"Trey," Phoenix put a hand on his shoulder, looking him straight in the eye. As she held his gaze, she felt the connection grow, linking him to her feelings. "I won't let anyone hurt you ever again, okay? You're going to be safe."

"It's me we should be worried about," Abigail said with a wink as she nudged him. "You're going to be the nephew of the Trusos. No one will know you're the boy from the orphanage. My face is a bit easier to remember."

"If Eric is in Osha," Phoenix said with surety, "you won't be in any danger from the queen."

#

Trey fell asleep within minutes of lying down, his bedroll stretched out between the two women, but Abigail forced herself to stay awake. Phoenix knew it was for her sake, but no amount of prodding could convince Abigail to rest.

"It's not going to do any good, you know," she said with a yawn. "I'm staying up if you're staying up."

"You forget I'm a supernatural being. I don't need sleep like you."