Chapter 52: A Big Reveal

Eric saw Phoenix bend double arms wrapped around her stomach. The wild woman pushed her back up into a standing position. Something about the look on the woman's face seemed wrong.

Faster. Get to Phoenix.

Eric broke into a run and saw something silver in the wild woman's hand. She plunged the dagger into Phoenix's abdomen and jerked it sideways, cutting deep and long.

"No!" Eric reached them just as the woman pulled back, catching Phoenix as she fell backward. She didn't even seem to realize he was there, her eyes out of focus.

"Phoenix. Phoenix! Can you hear me?"

She lifted her hand, covered in blood, her brows wrinkling. So much blood. But it was more than that. He could sense it, as though he smelt burning flesh where there was none. Her wound seemed...wrong. He tried to put pressure on her abdomen, but something inside him said it was too late.

"Phoenix. Please." A sob wracked Eric's throat. Please."

Her eyes slid up and she went limp in his arms.

#

Maverick saw his sister fall. He saw Canya back away, holding Trey's hand, the little boy's face horrified. Maverick's knees buckled, and he felt two pairs of arms brace him.

"Maverick." Gwen sounded choked.

He pushed up and pulled away from them, pain and rage flooding his veins. He'd kill Canya. He'd destroy her. He stared around the courtyard, but couldn't see her anywhere. She wasn't where Phoenix had fallen, nor anywhere nearby. It was as though she vanished.

Eric sat holding Phoenix, his head bent over her.

My sister. Maverick stormed forward. I should be the one with her.

A burly pair of hands shoved his chest, knocking him a step backward. He looked up to see Youlden and Finny standing side by side.

"You need to leave. Now." Youlden shoved Maverick backward again, toward Gwen.

"Listen to him." It was the first time he'd ever seen Finny frightened. "We need to go. Come with me. Both of you." She glanced past them at Lieutenant Port. "All of you."

"I can't—Laina—"

"Is gone," Youlden said, his voice thick. "There's nothing you can do now. Helena's coming. The Militia has won. You have to go."

"Please." Finny and Youlden kept pushing him back. He felt Gwen's hand on his arm.

Noelle. Laina. Roman. Eric.

"I can't just leave them all behind!"

"You have to." Finny shifted him, pushing at his back. "For Braskey. The country needs you all safe."

Gwen and Port were already moving in the direction Finny wanted, Gwen's eyes wide and afraid.

"Where are we going?" she asked.

"Somewhere safe." Finny glanced back at Youlden. "You coming?"

Youlden met Maverick's gaze and shook his head. "No. I'll stay. I'll take care of her—of them."

"You could be killed," Gwen said, eyes shining.

"Better me than you." Youlden gave them a halfhearted smile. "Go."

Maverick cast one final look back at Eric, feeling like he was leaving him to die.

"I'll keep them safe," Youlden said, following his gaze. "Go."