Chapter 51: Mygel's "Mother"

Maverick and Gwen fled the castle, landing in the middle of a snow storm.

"Trey," Maverick said, peering around. "We won't be able to see much through this. Stay close." He pulled his blade, holding it in front of himself as Gwen stayed close behind. An Army soldier appeared to Maverick's left, and he held up his sword in defense. Gwen squeaked in surprise, ducking behind him as Maverick defended them both.

Out of the corner of his eye, Maverick saw another enemy coming in from the side, heading right for Gwen.

"Look out!" Maverick called, his blade clashed against the first adversary, unable to shift in time.

Gwen screamed, unarmed as she turned toward the soldier. As his blade rushed toward her abdomen, a loud clang sounded, and it fell to the ground.

A newcomer stood before Gwen, sword raised as he glared around. "You'd attack an unarmed lady? Cad!" He slapped the flat of his sword on the soldier's shoulder. "I bet you'd attack children, too. Get out of my sight."

To Maverick's surprise, the soldier fled. The one fighting Maverick slowed, having watched the whole thing.

"What are you looking at?" their savior demanded. "Run along. This young man is just defending his lady. Scoot."

Maverick gaped, assessing the newcomer. Older, with square shoulders and a stern glare. No doubt one of Eric's higher ranking officers, a lieutenant or something.

"You both all right?" The man looked them over with a keen eye and raised brow. "You seemed a bit outmatched."

"Why would you help us?" Gwen asked, inching closer to Maverick. "You're Army."

"And you're an unarmed young lady," the man replied with a look of shock. He studied them again, a strange expression passing over his face. "You'd both best get out of here. It isn't safe."

"Who are you?" Maverick asked, his sword still raised.

"Lieutenant Port, not that it's any of your business," the man said as he straightened his shoulders. "But I know who you are. You're not safe here. Neither of you."

Maverick's stomach soured and he pulled back from Port. "What do you mean you know who we are?"

"Militia. And more than that." Port gestured to them. "I'm not blind." He glanced around. "You need to get back to your people. They've already killed the queen. It's only a matter of time before they find the king."

"But we don't want any of that," Maverick said, stepping forward. "We didn't want—we can't trust Lady Helena."

"Lady Helena?" Port's head shot up, and though he was shorter than Maverick, he could see a strength in the Lieutenant, a fire in his eyes. "That enchantress is the one running things?" He cursed under his breath. "Devil woman. Neither of you are safe with her. She'll kill you the moment you question her."

"How do you know so much?" Maverick asked, ignoring Gwen as she tugged on his arm.

"I've been around long enough to see what a woman like Lady Helena can do." He paused and added, "or what Queen Narissa could do."

"Maverick," Gwen said, still tugging.

Port seemed to come to an idea. "Yes, yes that's what I'll do. Come. I need to hide you both until this is all over."

"Why should we trust you?" What if Port just led them to their deaths like lambs to slaughter?

"I'd never harm a hair on a royal's head. Can't have heirs airing their affairs out in the middle of battle." He let out a sad chuckle and shook his head. "With me."