Chapter 18: The Return

Castor flexed his fingers, contemplating the way his earthy form moved - the muscles, the skeleton. 

Fascinating. 

"You're stalling," Altair said, resting against the side of a brick built home in the heart of Osha capital. 

"I don't like the way you're thinking." Castor, who sat leisurely on a bench in the next door garden, turned his head, taking in Altair's unmasked appearance. "It's dangerous."

"It's necessary." Altair shivered as a wind brushed by and shot a glare at Castor. "Our last spat didn't bring out the traitor. We need to take the next step."

"I don't see how murder is the next step." 

Altair rolled his eyes, pushing off the wall. "It's not murder and you know it. What better way to draw the traitor out than to get rid of the obstacles in their path?" 

Swaying his head from side to side, Castor shrugged. "True." 

"And we know the outcome."

"It's not guaranteed." 

Altair's mouth tipped. "Isn't it? Besides, wasn't it foretold? Something about the greatest sacrifice being for one you love?"

"On which side?" Castor stretched out his long legs and rested his hands behind his head. "She loves him, that much is obvious."

"You don't think he loves her?" Altair asked, brow arched.

"I think he does - always has. But there are other factors at play. He's pulled toward Bainon. He feels it in his bones to protect his king."

"And I wouldn't stop him from doing so," Altair agreed. "It's his destiny - his Guardianship. All I'm asking is that you trust me. I would never let anything happen to either of them. This is for their own good AND the greater good."

Castor smirked, still lounging on the bench. "You just don't want me near her." 

Altair crossed his arms, face darkening. "You don't deny your attraction." 

"Why would I? Lying is so unbecoming." Castor pushed to his feet, almost granting Altair a smile. "You've spent time with her, but not as I have. It's different." 

With a little shrug, Altair turned away. "But will she want that time with you once she discovers your plans for Samson? He's her favorite. Discovering his betrayal may be too much for her to forgive you."

Castor's jaw clenched, but he knew Altair was right. "It might. It's a risk I'm willing to take. Especially for Eric's safety."

"Ares before Phoenix?" Altair turned back, a pleased expression lighting his face. "It's good to hear you sound like yourself, old friend."

"I will always choose my charge first."

"And I mine. Phoenix over Ares." Altair put a hand on Castor's shoulder, squeezing slightly. "Do you trust me? Do you trust what I want to do - for them and for us?"

Castor hesitated, glancing down the darkened alley toward the onyx castle gleaming in the moonlight. "It's going to be more difficult when she arrives. She'll throw a wrench into our plan."

"But as long as our charges are safe, who cares what hells she raises?"

It was Castor's turn to feel a shiver. "I think you're underestimating her." He turned back to Altair. "But I trust you. I always have. If you think it's best - best for Ares, best for Phoenix - then I agree."

"Good. We begin at once." 

Eric sat, back rigid, at the lone table in his room. Sparse and cold, with only a twin bed in the corner and a miniature armoire for his uniforms, it didn't harken back to memories of a playful childhood.