Chapter 40: Gwen's Survival

"War," Noelle repeated, as though the word were foreign, unknown to her. It's what they'd all been working toward. Hours of training militant soldiers, hours of battle plans, weeks and months of discussions - most long before Noelle or any of them arrived.

"It's inevitable," Roman said, nodding even as his brows furrowed. "That is what we're doing here, right? Mav?"

Maverick hadn't looked at them, his fists still clenched as he stared at Gwen. "Who would kill their own sister?"

A chill ran down Noelle's spine. He wasn't asking for an answer, his eyes shone with tears of fury.

"Who sends an assassin after his own niece and nephew?" Maverick continued. "Who could be so cruel, so evil as to go after their own family just to win?"

"Mav..." Roman stretched out a hand, and Maverick rounded on him.

"He stole Eric from his parents - raised him with lies about who and what he was. He had Eric's men murder my parents, and would have done me in if Eric hadn't stabbed me first." Maverick grabbed hold of the foot of the bed, and the wood cracked beneath his grip. Noelle jumped.

"Hey," she kept her voice low, placing her hands on top of his, looking him in the eye. "Breathe for me. Can you do that? Breathe."

Maverick sucked in a few steadying breaths, and Noelle nodded.

"There we go. Breathe. I understand why you're so upset. I understand that the world is never what you think it is and no one has been honest with you. I know you're angry, you're hurt, and everything feels like it's falling apart. Your sister isn't here, and you don't know if she's okay; you just woke up from a coma; the woman you just discovered is your cousin has the right to take the throne over you and she might die before she even gets the chance."

Roman sidled up to Maverick, placing a hand on his shoulder. "They're going to pay. The people who did all of this won't get away with it. We're here for you."

Noelle felt her throat constrict at the pain in Maverick's expression as he nodded.

"We need to get a healer," Noelle said, looking at Gwen. "We can't keep this a secret any longer - her illness I mean." She pointed at both Maverick and Roman. "No one tells anyone what we know about Gwen's heritage."

"Why?" they asked together.

"She has the right to the throne. They should know that," Maverick said.

"And someone tried to kill her for it - the only other person who knows, most likely. So until we flush that person out, we keep this between us." Noelle crossed her arms, waiting, but neither of them did anything. "Well? Go! Roman, find the healer. Maverick, go to whatever meeting you're supposed to be at. You need to catch up on all the plans."

"What are you going to do?" Roman asked, backing toward the door with Maverick.

"Isn't it obvious?" Noelle placed a hand on top of her head, steadying her breathing. "I'm going to take control of this situation and smoke out whoever the poisoner is before they strike again."

"You seem very confident," Roman said, eyeing her with a quirked brow.

Noelle gave them a wry smile. "I spent my entire life trying to outplay a psychopath. I think I can handle a rogue assassin."

Her remark drew a small grin from Maverick. "If you could survive Aundreya, I'm betting you're right."

#

Noelle sat with Gwen until Roman returned with the healer. The stooped old man shuffled in, a younger assistant at his side. Noelle moved away as the old man stepped up to Gwen's bedside.