Chapter 34: The Dungeons

The dark halls of black marble grew dank and moldy as they traveled lower, Altair leading the way. Phoenix followed through the strange blackness, holding tight to Altair's arm to keep from getting lost. Castor followed behind, keeping watch.

"We're getting close, I think," Altair said, turning her down another corridor. "There will be guards up ahead."

"How are we supposed to get past them?" Phoenix asked in a whisper.

"It'd be best if we could sneak past, but I think they'd notice our presence, even if they couldn't see us." Castor's voice hovered behind her, and Phoenix longed to have her sight back.

"We'll have to figure something out," Altair said, sounding a bit anxious. "I'm not one for violence."

"Luckily, I am," Phoenix said, nudging him with her elbow. "How many guards?"

"Four," Castor replied. Having watched over Eric all her brother's life, it only made sense that he'd know.

"I don't know if I can handle more than two at once," Phoenix said, thinking back to what little training she did at the Militia. Norman never managed to get to more than hand to hand combat with two adversaries, as Claire wasn't an experienced fighter to play a third attacker.

"Maybe we could each take one?" Castor suggested, sounding as uneasy as Altair. "Or maybe I could go and distract them, and the two of you could sneak by."

"And let them see you? No chance in hells," Altair said. "Our identities are our most sacred secrets. We'd all be in danger if we were seen."

"Finny doesn't seem to care," Phoenix said. "And I wouldn't mind knowing what you two look like."

"You'd be severely disappointed," Altair said, a smile in his tone. "We're not that exciting."

"But we're very handsome," Castor added.

"Well, I am, anyway," Altair said.

Phoenix chuckled, but a surge of pain shot through her abdomen and her knees buckled. With a gasp, she clung to Altair's arm. He braced her, pulling her back up to a standing position.

"What is it?" Castor hissed. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. She's fine."

"She doesn't look fine!"

"We'll discuss it later. They're going to hear us." A clatter from beyond caused Altair to curse. "They've heard us."

"What's going on? What's wrong with her?" Castor didn't seem to care.

"Who's there? Are there four?" Phoenix asked. She sensed Altair peek around the corner.

He swore again. "Samson."

"What?" Phoenix and Castor said together, both surprised.

"If it's Samson, I can go speak to him."

"If he sees you down here," Castor said, he'll know what you're up to."

"He probably already does. That's why he'd be down here." Altair tugged her. "Are you going to be able to fight them off when he's out of the way?" Phoenix nodded, straightening as the pain passed. "Good. Castor, keep watch back here. Phoenix...go now."

He pushed her out into the hall. Three guards stood at the ready before a heavy wooden door. All three stared at her, dressed in her ballgown. The hallway leading the opposite direction lay empty - Samson already gone.

"Um, hi." She stepped closer to them, the fabric rustling around her ankles as she marched down the hall. "I'm looking for someone. Can you help me?"