Chapter 46: Pieces in Play

The fog spread through the castle, blocking the vision on both sides. Screams, cries, and death filled the air. On the top of the highest turret, two figures stared down.

"All is lost," Altair said, shaking his head.

"You're such a pessimist." Castor didn't smile, his heart racing. They didn't know where Phoenix or Eric were in all the madness.

"If we can't find them," Altair said through gritted teeth, "then we can't protect them."

"I thought our job was just to watch." Castor knew he was playing with fire, so to speak, but he couldn't resist. Altair shot him a withering glare. "If you're ready to play on my level, I'm ready to make the game fair."

"And this means?" Altair asked.

"It means you step aside when it comes to my meddling, and you protect Ares with the same fierceness you'd protect Phoenix." 

Altair ground his teeth together, but nodded. "Deal."

"I think it's time to play." Castor lifted his hands, spreading his arms wide. A forceful gale built around him, dropping down to the earth below and blowing the fog in every direction. It spread into the castle and out onto the grounds, howling in piercing shrieks. Fighters on both sides crouched low as the wind wrapped around them, knocking some over.  When it stopped, the fog had dissipated, and the night turned clear.

With an arched brow, Altair sniffed. "Show off."

#

A great wind blew past him, and then Maverick could see everything.

"What the hells?" he asked, still holding onto Gwen's hand.

"Someone's watching over us."

#

Roman's sword sang, flying through the air with incredible speed as he defended Helena, still out in the castle grounds. Neither of them had gotten very far, but once the fog cleared, he'd seen their chance to get into the castle.

"This way!" he called, dragging her with him.

#

Noelle ran through the castle halls, lost and frightened. The sounds of clashing swords surrounded her, and she dodged, ducked, and dove beneath blades, praying for a friendly face.

"Lady Aundreya!" A man caught her by the arm, whirling her about. "Where have you been? You left me and - what's wrong?"

Noelle stared at him, an icy chill running down her back. "What'd you just call me?"

"Lady Aundreya?" The man frowned, his pretty face marred by confusion. "We need to get you to safety."

Aundreya's here. She's here, in the castle. 

Oh hells.

#

Phoenix could hear the fighting happening below her. Sweat glistened on her brow as she moved lower through the castle, bound to run across an enemy at any moment. Pain continued to eat away at her insides, drawing tears from her eyes.  Forming flames helped, but didn't keep the pain away for long.

What is happening to me?

As she dropped down to a lower floor, she realized she could see everything without trouble. Glancing around, she  spotted a familiar face.

"Mygel!" 

The woman turned, her face mottled with rage. "What the hells just happened? Where'd that wind come from?"