Chapter 45: Separated

"Wake the Army, sound the alarm." Phoenix shoved Eric toward the door. "Get everyone out. They've attacked while all are sleeping. Those bastards." She growled low as she thought of how underhanded this was, just when she and Eric were so close to talks of peace.

"Bainon!" Narissa burst into the room, running right into Eric. "Oh. We're under attack!"

"We know," Bainon said, pulling a sword from the wall. "It's the Militia." He shot a glower at Phoenix. "So much for peace."

"Did you order a boy named Trey to be taken from the orphanage here in Osha for execution?" Phoenix asked Narissa, heart pounding.

"What?" Narissa blinked, glancing from the window to Phoenix. "No! Of course not? What would I want with a boy from the orphanage?"

"You're not lying," Phoenix said in awe.

"Why would I?" Narissa turned away from her, not seeming to even realize why she was there. "We need to get you somewhere safe."

"Safe?" Bainon's growl struck an odd note with Phoenix - admiration? "They're attacking my people. I won't hide while they come after my like cowards in the night."

"You're the king!" Narissa spun around. "Where's Eric?"

"He's alerting the Army." Phoenix took Bainon by the arm, jerking her head at Narissa. "Come on. We'll find somewhere for you two to hide out of the way. You're the ones they're after."

#

Noelle screamed the moment they reached the edge of the fog, Gwen, Abigail, Maverick, and Roman joining in with her.

"I hope that woke someone up," Maverick said, squinting through the dense clouds. "We need to find -"

"We need to keep you and Gwen safe," Roman snapped. "Mygel and the others could be anywhere in this mess. They could easily get rid of both of you in the name of war and none would be the wiser."

Someone ran bodily into Noelle, and she yelped, falling backward into Gwen.

"Noelle? Thank the heavens, I found you guys." Youlden grabbed her by the shoulders to steady her, Gwen pushing her up from behind. "It's madness. They're just storming right into the castle. Finny said we had to find you."

"Have you seen Phoenix?" Maverick stepped forward, brows low. "We need to find her."

"I haven't seen anyone. Just a lot of shouting and chaos."

#

"Where's Aundreya?" Phoenix marched with Narissa's arm clutched in one hand, Bainon's in the other. The sorceress was willing, while the king insisted he head to cut off the militants.

"I-I haven't seen her." Narissa blinked. "I forgot about her. She's such a dear girl."

"No, she isn't." Phoenix scanned the hallway, unfamiliar with the castle. "Where's a room that's difficult to get into?"

#

Eric slammed the doors of the barracks, bellowing at the top of his lungs. "We're under attack! To arms!"

Men shot to their feet, dressing in seconds as they grabbed their swords.

"Where's Samson?" Eric demanded.

"He was on watch tonight," Carter said, eyes wide. "What's happened?"

"The Militia has snuck up on us all. Protect the castle. Protect the city!" Eric ushered the men out, his stomach twisting as he thought of his best friend on the front lines.