Chapter 14: The Day the Guardians Died

"What are you going to do?" Samson asked, following Eric out of the study.

"I don't know yet. I need to think."  Eric felt pulled in different directions. "I need to speak to him."

"Him?"

"Abigail's father." Eric glanced back at the study door. "I wish she hadn't come in right when I was reading."

"You said she lied. How do you know she was lying?" Samson lowered his voice, his head swiveling from side to side as he looked to see if they'd be overheard.

"I felt it." Eric shrugged, not sure how to put it into words. It ate at his very insides, and he knew she'd lied. "I have to know what's in that book. She's hiding something from me. I know it."

A crease appeared in Samson's furrowed brow, his sturdy jaw clenching. "Perhaps the King would allow you time to study it."

Eric stopped dead in his tracks, causing Samson to crash into him and nearly knock them both down. "I'd never thought of that."

"Asking the king?"

"Speaking to him at all." Eric frowned. "My mo--the queen always handled any of my questions or requests." 

Samson's expression didn't change, though he gave the faintest shrug with his shoulder. "Are you not allowed to request an audience with the king?"

"I haven't the faintest clue."  Eric's lips twitched. "I suppose there's one way to find out."

Within fifteen minutes Eric stood before the king, Narissa nowhere in sight. Bainon's face, once the most handsome in the land, hadn't lost its charm in the years he'd aged. Women still blushed at his smile, and Eric had a feeling if Bainon had any desire to wander from his marriage vows, it'd be none too difficult. 

Though, he also had a feeling Narissa would never allow it.

"What might I do for you, my boy?" Bainon asked, stepping away from his table of maps to face Eric head on. "I've been meaning to bring you, Jensa, and Steele in for a conversation now that you're back in town. We need to get all of the Unit leaders together - it's time we talked strategy."

"I agree, Your Majesty," Eric said with a slight bow. 

Bainon bellowed out a laugh and smacked Eric on the back. "Your mother isn't here, boy. We're alone. You needn't masquerade with me." His twinkling eyes creased at the corners. "I wish we'd spent more time together as you were growing up. Narissa didn't think it safe, but...well. No use wishing."

"No, I suppose not." Eric sucked in a deep breath. "I...I was wondering - do you remember when I was born?"

Bainon's brows shot up, eyes widening. "Born? Heavens no. Narissa kept you hidden for the first two years of your life. No, I didn't meet you until you were toddling on your own." His face darkened. "I never quite forgave her for that."

"But you believed I was yours?"

"How could I not? The mark said it all."

"And if the mark disappeared?" The words came out in a rush, and Eric swallowed hard, wishing he could take them back. 

Bainon frowned, gaze dropping to Eric's neck and then hands. "Is this about those new tattoos you have?"

"It's part of it."

With a sigh, Bainon strolled over to a wooden chair with a velvet cushion and plopped down, gesturing for Eric to join him. When he'd obeyed, Bainon leaned back, considering him.