Chapter 47: All Out Brawl

Roman entered the room with Helena just behind him. He could see Narissa through the balcony doors, two Army soldiers at her side for protection. A young woman jumped as they entered, and Roman balked.

"Noelle? How'd you get in here?"

She arched a brow, darker than it had been. In fact, everything about her was darker than it had been, her hair, her eyebrows, her eyes.

"My sister's here?" she asked, batting her lashes. "Noelle's here?"

"Aundreya," Roman said, understanding. "You must be Aundreya."

"If she's our enemy," Helena said, eyeing Aundreya suspiciously. "We ought to-"

"I'm not your enemy." Aundreya turned her unblinking stare on Helena. "I'm no one. I'm no threat to you. You aren't worried about me, and because of that, there's no reason to kill me."

Roman nodded, calmed by Aundreya's words. "She's not a threat."

"Leave her be," Helena agreed.

"Why are you here?" Aundreya asked. "You want to tell me. You want to protect me. I'm so fragile and innocent. You want to keep me safe from what's going on out there."

Helena blinked, slow, drowsy. "We're here to kill Narissa and Bainon - to stop their tyranny and put a new heir on the throne."

"Bainon isn't here," Aundreya said. "He left. He's out there fighting somewhere."

"What?" Helena balked. "But that's not what we need. This was always Tarvril's safe room. He never would have left it during war."

"Tarvril isn't Bainon," Roman said, still eyeing the closed balcony doors. They hadn't heard them yet, but it was only a matter of time. "Let's do what we came for."

#

Abigail ran after Trey, screaming his name. He disappeared amidst the fighting bodies, and Abigail stood there, unsure of what to do.

Arms wrapped around her and pulled her back away from the fighting. "What are you doing here?"

She stared up at Eric, eyes wide. "Trey's here. I have to get him home."

Beside Eric, Bainon battled with a Militant. "Aha! Take that! You backwards thinking baboon! Come and get me!"

"Which way did he go?" Eric asked. "Let me go after him. You get to safety."

"I can't leave knowing everyone I love is here fighting."

"Abigail, you're not a trained fighter. You need to leave."

"Eric!" Bainon's cry of warning forced Eric to push Abigail aside in order to bring up his sword.

"This is ridiculous," he said, once the enemy was dispatched. He helped Abigail to her feet. "I'm slowing this down."

Dropping to his knees, Eric planted his palms on the ground. With a guttural cry, he let loose his power. Ice spread over the ground, like a lake in the dead of winter. Army and Militia soldiers alike slipped and slid along the ground, unable to keep their footing to fight.

Eric swayed, his strength drained by the effort. Abigail braced him and helped him stand.

"I think now you'll want me to stay."

"Let's get him inside," Bainon said, draping Eric's arm over his shoulder. "Out of the way."

#

Aundreya stayed out of their way as Roman moved to the balcony and threw open the doors. Narissa didn't turn, keeping her focus on the fight below.