8. Legillimency

Juliette

The searing pain from my left arm had awaken me early. My right hand was clutched over the mark. The wound had closed, and the ink was setting and became more and more visible as it stained my arm.

I brushed my teeth, and changed into a navy blue shirt and black jeans. I remembered everything clearly and each time I thought about it, the voice in my head just kept saying the same thing. Crucio.

I walked downstairs, not acknowledging anyone who was there. I sat down at the table, a few seats away from my parents.

I noticed that Draco was not sitting at the table. Maybe he was even worse than me.

-----------------------------------------------------

Draco was always around to tease me, and in a way, we kept each other company. Today, he hadn't even come out of his room. I made the decision to go and check on him. For a long time, we viewed each other as enemies, but right now, it felt like he was the only one who could understand my pain and suffering. I crept up the stairs and paused before knocking on his door. 

Silence. 

I knocked on his door three times.

"Go away," he demanded, but his voice wasn't tough. It was weak and broken like he had no energy left in his body. It was different to hear him like this.

"It's me, Juliette. Please let me in," I needed to see him and I had so many questions. I did not want to speak to my parents. I didn't want to speak to Narcissa either. Malfoy was the person who I wanted to talk to.

Draco didn't answer, so I turned the knob, but it was locked.

I pointed my wand at the lock and whispered, "Alohomora," I slowly turned the knob, and snuck in, closing the door behind me. I cast another enchantment so that our parents couldn't hear us as we spoke.

Draco sat on his bed, his back facing me, and I walked towards him.

"Are you alright?" I asked as I approached his figure.

"Do I look alright?" He snapped. My mouth automatically opened to say something, but I closed it. It was so instinctive to snap back at him, but I knew that now was not the time. He had his arm in front of him on the desk and his head hung low. He was staring at the mark. From a distance, I could faintly see the black ink stand out on his skin.

"Sorry..." I mumbled. In a small voice, I said, "How bad is yours?"

After a few moments, he finally replied. "It hurts like hell. The ink is beginning to set."

"Do you want to talk?" I couldn't read his expression in his voice, so I just sat there.

"Pain. It's all I feel. The whole initiation was painful," he said, not answering my question. As I moved closer to him, he wouldn't dare remove his eyes from his wrist.

"Yeah, it was... did you have to use the curse on Pettigrew?"

He nodded his head in response. He didn't want to talk, but I did. So, I carried on. "It was awful. The thing is-" I planned on telling him what had happened, and what I felt. When I used the Cruciatus curse, this rush-this feeling went through me which I couldn't stop. But then I realized that he would only think that I was even more of a lunatic. I kept the thought to myself instead. "When You-Know-Who used one of the spells to-you know do it, I heard this scream. I actually heard many screams. And I'm not exactly sure what it was. Maybe Legillimency?"